Why is my FireFTP is disabled after updating to Firefox 50.0.2?
I went to use FireFTP and discovered it had been disabled sometime after a recent Firefox update. I'm using Firefox 50.0.2 on a Mac with OS X 10.11.6. I checked one of my other Macs and it exhibits the same issue with FireFTP disabled.
Is there a new version of FireFTP that is compatible? I haven't found it. Or is there another way to restore FireFTP?
Additional System Details
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 15.020.20042
- Aspera Web enables fast and secure file transfers using fasp. For more information, visit www.asperasoft.com.
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 188.8.131.52
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Shockwave Flash 23.0 r0
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 205
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
The latest version of the FireFTP Extension is 2.0.28
When you check the Add-ons page, what does yours show? Either:
- Command+Shift+a (Windows: Ctrl+Shift+a)
- "3-bar" menu button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons
In the left column, click Extensions. Then find FireFTP on the right side. Note that disabled extensions cluster at the bottom. Click the More link to check the version number. That page may also have more information about why you can't re-enable the extension (assuming you can't re-enable it).
What do find there?
Took a snapshot of the info.
Hmm, that's strange. Can you reinstall it, in case the extension became corrupted? Your saved login data should survive the reinstall, but if you want to make a backup:
Open your current Firefox settings (AKA Firefox profile) folder using either
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" button > Troubleshooting Information
- (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
- type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter/Return
In the first table on the page, click the "Show in Finder" button. This should launch a new window listing various files and folders. Copy the fireFTPsites.dat file to a safe location. (Your passwords are stored in Firefox's logins.json file, not in that .dat file.)
Reinstall behaves strangely. I can't use "choose account" or "edit" on the left side.
I can "browse" and select a source directory but nothing comes up in the window, even though there are files in the folder.
I tried importing fireFTPsites.dat from the "tools" option but that doesn't work correctly. It seems to import and I get my list but no "connect" option and "edit is greyed out.
Tried reinstall a couple times with the same results.
Mine seems okay on Windows 7, but I notice some of the reviewers on the Add-ons site also are reporting various problems. Not sure if the developer is going to work on those issues.
Have you ever considered stand-alone FTP software? I have been using FileZilla for my main site because the new host didn't seem to work well with FireFTP: https://filezilla-project.org/
No joy with FireFTP 2.0.28 & Firefox 50.0.2 on either of our Mac Pros.
Filezilla is working ok, thanks for the suggestion. Just need to re-enter all my FTP site information, unless there's an easy way to import the data from FireFTP.