Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Unable to re-install Thunderbird because old version is not proper de-installed (win10)

Sprey

I had a problem with Thunderbird because it kept crashing because of a script that didn't stop (I think calender-something). Then I uninstalled and tried to re-install but the problem stayed. I now have it uninstalled but when I try too re-install it says I need to restart my computer because the de-installation is not finished. But when I restart nothing happens and I cannot install Thunderbird anymore. I read some of the answers on the forum and now removed the file at %APPDATA% named Thunderbird, but still have the same problem. Can anyone help me please?

I had a problem with Thunderbird because it kept crashing because of a script that didn't stop (I think calender-something). Then I uninstalled and tried to re-install but the problem stayed. I now have it uninstalled but when I try too re-install it says I need to restart my computer because the de-installation is not finished. But when I restart nothing happens and I cannot install Thunderbird anymore. I read some of the answers on the forum and now removed the file at %APPDATA% named Thunderbird, but still have the same problem. Can anyone help me please?

Modified by Wayne Mery

Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

Read this article, and look for information on WOW64. http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-64-bit-windows-folder-x86-syswow64.htm

Your Thunderbird should be a 32-bit application.

Modified by christ1

All Replies (4)

You should not delete what is at %APPDATA% - that's your configuration. You should delete what is at %programfiles(x86)%\Thunderbird

Thanks, I tried this but my computer cannot find anything when I ask to look for %programfiles(x86)%\Thunderbird...

More suggestions?

Chosen Solution

Read this article, and look for information on WOW64. http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-64-bit-windows-folder-x86-syswow64.htm

Your Thunderbird should be a 32-bit application.

Modified by christ1

Thanks, I read it - didn't get it all... But checked and indeed I have a 64 bit computer. Deleted the Thunderbird file there and now I could install again! Thanx a lot!