Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Can't send email from a computer that is not on the same domain as mail server

matty85

We have just set up a mail server on Amazon. I can send email from the command line fine. I can send and receive email from a PC connected to the Amazon domain with Thunderbird. I can receive email from a PC outside of the mail server (Amazon) domain with Thunderbird, but cannot send mail. I always get a timeout error from a PC outside of the Amazon domain. The SMTP settings are the same between the computers connected to the different domains. All of the necessary ports are also open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have just set up a mail server on Amazon. I can send email from the command line fine. I can send and receive email from a PC connected to the Amazon domain with Thunderbird. I can receive email from a PC outside of the mail server (Amazon) domain with Thunderbird, but cannot send mail. I always get a timeout error from a PC outside of the Amazon domain. The SMTP settings are the same between the computers connected to the different domains. All of the necessary ports are also open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All Replies (1)

Chosen Solution

This was an inbound firewall issue after all. Problem solved.