This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Firefox hangs on monitor reconnect / video resolution change
Running through a receiver, changing inputs effectively disconnects my monitor. When changing back, I can hear Windows' device connected sound. All other open apps resume correctly; Firefox hangs. After force quit and relaunch, "well, this is embarrassing" offers tab recovery.
34.0.5 with very few addons or extensions: only Office2013 and OpenH264 set to 'always activate'. Also tested with no/minimal other apps running.
Modified by milhouse6
All Replies (1)
Please make sure that your drivers are up to date. Upgrade your graphics drivers to use hardware acceleration and WebGL
If it is already updated, in the past it has helped to disable hardware acceleration.
You might need to restart Firefox in order for this to take effect, so save all work first (e.g., mail you are composing, online documents you're editing, etc.).
Then perform these steps:
- Open Firefox Options window (Preferences on Mac or Linux) as follows:
- In Firefox 29.0 and above, click the menu button and select Options for Windows or Preferences on Mac or Linux.
- In Firefox 28.0 and previous versions, click the orange Firefox button at the top left, then select the "Options" button, or, if there is no Firefox button at the top, go to Tools > Options.
- In the Firefox Options (or Preferences) window, click the Advanced tab, then select General.
- In the settings list, you should find the Use hardware acceleration when available checkbox. Uncheck this checkbox.
- Now, restart Firefox and see if the problems persist.
Additionally, please check for updates for your graphics driver by following the steps mentioned in the following Knowledge base articles:
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!