Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Can I restore my bookmarks if they were saved to the same profile on a different computer?

PYP1116

So my mom restored one of our computers without telling me or backing up any of my bookmarks. If I'm signed into the same Mozilla profile on my computer as I was on the one that was wiped, will my bookmarks be in the places.sqlite folder? If they are, how can I access them and restore my bookmarks to Firefox?

I also have two old .json files that I've repeatedly tried to import to Firefox using the "restore" feature and installed Friefox 27 to try to use my recovery key to no avail. Can anyone recommend a method of restoring my bookmarks that I haven't tried yet, or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

So my mom restored one of our computers without telling me or backing up any of my bookmarks. If I'm signed into the same Mozilla profile on my computer as I was on the one that was wiped, will my bookmarks be in the places.sqlite folder? If they are, how can I access them and restore my bookmarks to Firefox? I also have two old .json files that I've repeatedly tried to import to Firefox using the "restore" feature and installed Friefox 27 to try to use my recovery key to no avail. Can anyone recommend a method of restoring my bookmarks that I haven't tried yet, or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

All Replies (2)

Chosen Solution

Press the Alt or F10 key to bring up the tool bar. Then select Bookmarks. Hot key is <Control>(Mac:<Command>)<Shift> B. Once the window is open, at the top of the page, press the button labeled Import and Backup. Select Export Bookmarks To HTML, and follow the prompts and save it to a HTML file. Copy the file to another computer. Repeat the instructions above, BUT select Import Bookmarks From HTML,

These can't get your data back, but will help in the future.

These add-ons can be a great help by backing up and restoring Firefox

FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) {web link} FEBE allows you to quickly and easily backup your Firefox extensions, history, passwords, and more. In fact, it goes beyond just backing up -- It will actually rebuild your saved files individually into installable .xpi files. It will also make backup of files that you choose.

OPIE {web link} Import/Export extension preferences