Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

Thunderbird freezes and goes not responding when deleting certain emails

EvanBrad

Ever since I archived a few thousand emails I have been a problem with my Thunderbird freezing and "not responding" for 15-30 seconds after I delete certain people's emails in my inbox. I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) and have Microsoft Security Essentials running.

Ever since I archived a few thousand emails I have been a problem with my Thunderbird freezing and "not responding" for 15-30 seconds after I delete certain people's emails in my inbox. I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) and have Microsoft Security Essentials running.

All Replies (3)

Problem went away. When I have Windows in non-Safe Mode and Thunderbird in safe mode the problem still occurs.

The culprit is most likely MS Security Essentials. Make sure not to let it scan your Thunderbird profile folder. Don't let it scan incoming and outgoing messages, and attachments.