Search Support

Beware of phishing attacks: Mozilla will never ask you to call a number or visit a non-Mozilla website. Please ignore such requests.

Learn More

Why does this symbol ’ show up in my email messages almost always?

  • 2 replies
  • 23 have this problem
  • 38131 views
  • Last reply by Mattmozilla

more options

does not occur in all incoming emails but makes it difficult to read. Sample follows:

Whew! It’s been 3 hours, you’ve been tinkering in Photoshop all afternoon, but you finally got it:

… The Perfect Mask.

It might be the wings of a soaring eagle, your best friend's wedding veil, or a model’s curly hair — it’s the part of your photo that has real soul in it, the part you desperately want to keep.

Chosen solution

I have had the same problem with the  character inserted into emails that I have received from some others, and almost always those I have received from myself. I am on WinXP SP3 with whatever are the final updates available there, I am running Tbird 31.1.1 . Mozilla seems to have made changes to how it handles ( or now, mishandles) font displays. I have made no changes to my system's display settings until trying to correct this rather recent problem. Again, I have never seem these odd characters ( and others) until recently, and they come from within my own system.

My Tools>Options>Display>Formatting>Advanced>CharacterEncodings settings were originally: Outgoing Mail: Unicode (UTF-8) Incoming Mail: Western (ISO 8859-1)

Per the suggestion above, changed both to Unicode (UTF-8). That did not solve the problem.

Then I changed so both are Western (ISO 8859-1). That seems to have solved the symptoms.

However, I do not think it has solved the problem. Mozilla has evidently made a change to their systems which affects the display of fonts, even those sent from my system to itself when I have made no changes to my configuration during that time! Pointing to other software vendors' non-standardization is, at best, an incomplete explanation for this issue. This is a recent issue that has cropped up during Mozilla's apparent frantic efforts to get those version numbers to triple digits before 2016 for no clear and valuable reason.

Read this answer in context 👍 5

All Replies (2)

more options

It is a character encoding issue. Whom ever is sending the mail is using a character set that is not appropriate.

View menu (Alt+V) > character encoding and select UTF-8 or unicode should see the correct display.

more options

Chosen Solution

I have had the same problem with the  character inserted into emails that I have received from some others, and almost always those I have received from myself. I am on WinXP SP3 with whatever are the final updates available there, I am running Tbird 31.1.1 . Mozilla seems to have made changes to how it handles ( or now, mishandles) font displays. I have made no changes to my system's display settings until trying to correct this rather recent problem. Again, I have never seem these odd characters ( and others) until recently, and they come from within my own system.

My Tools>Options>Display>Formatting>Advanced>CharacterEncodings settings were originally: Outgoing Mail: Unicode (UTF-8) Incoming Mail: Western (ISO 8859-1)

Per the suggestion above, changed both to Unicode (UTF-8). That did not solve the problem.

Then I changed so both are Western (ISO 8859-1). That seems to have solved the symptoms.

However, I do not think it has solved the problem. Mozilla has evidently made a change to their systems which affects the display of fonts, even those sent from my system to itself when I have made no changes to my configuration during that time! Pointing to other software vendors' non-standardization is, at best, an incomplete explanation for this issue. This is a recent issue that has cropped up during Mozilla's apparent frantic efforts to get those version numbers to triple digits before 2016 for no clear and valuable reason.