How to move all mails from imap server to local folders automatically for every mail?
I want to transfer all my mails to local folders as soon as they arrive to Thunderbird and delete them from the server. I can do it manually by moving mails by hand, but I want this to be done by Thunderbird automatically.
After a few hour search, I found that there is an option about deleting mails from the mail server if I use POP3, but there is not an option for IMAP.
Important note: my mail cannot be set-up as POP3, so please don't segguest setting it up again using POP3.
Thanks in advance.
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Thanks Matt. I have found that solution after I wrote the question, but I still have problems.
1) I could not manage to use filters for "sent" mails. I can run filters for sent mails manually, but it does not work automatically.
2) I tried to create sub-local folders, which are the names of some people, and tried to run filters for them. Namely, while filtering my mail and moving them to the local folder, I want them to go in different folders according to mail address. But it didn't work :)
3) The last one :) Can I download the attachments in the mails automatically and save them to a folder according to their senders or mail subjects etc. ?
I would be grateful if you can help.
2. you will need a separate filter for each destinations folder. It is also better to use email address contains that email address. Less precise.
3. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/attachmentextractor/?src=search but it appears it is buggy.
Thanks for the first one. I would rather not to use the third one :)
And for the second one: I created different filters for every person that I created folder for. But it didn't work.
For example, IMAP mail folder : InboxIMAP Main local folder : INBOX Under that folder I created two sub-folders that are A and B.
I cretaed 3 filters, 1st one copies all mails from InboxIMAP to INBOX. Second one copies mails that come from, cc or bcc A, third one for B. Their source folder is InboxIMAP.
That didn't work.
I changed second and third and made their source folder INBOX, but that didn't work too...
What do you suggest?
Install the FiltaQuilla add-on to add Save or Detach Attachments to the filter criteria.
filters are executed in the order they appear on the list. so if the first one moves everything from Folder A all subsequent folder actions on Folder A will fail.
Moving the order of filters in the list is often all that is required to fix such issues.
sfhowes, where does that add-on saves the attachments? It doesn't ask a folder to put them in.
Matt, I knew that the order is important. But It doesn't work whichever the order is. By the way, the filter for inbox only copies mails, it doesn't move, thus it should not affect the next one.
By the way, sendfilter add-on does not work!
Click the folder icon in the filter action section to browse to the destination folder (see picture).
sfhowes, it seems that the add-on was not active when I first tried. I deactivated it and activated again, now that selection (save attachment to) appears. Thanks again.