Tracking generally refers to the collection of a person’s browsing data across multiple websites. Firefox for Android’s Enhanced Tracking Protection feature uses a list provided by Disconnect to identify and block trackers. When you use Strict Mode, the Total Cookie Protection to prevent sites from tracking your activity from site to site while allowing non-tracking cookies (cookies that are required for a website to work properly). To learn more about what third-party trackers Firefox handles, see Third-party trackers
Enhanced Tracking Protection is enabled by default. When you visit a web page with trackers, a shield icon will appear in the address bar to let you know that Firefox is actively blocking trackers on that page. In Strict mode, Firefox activates Total Cookie Protection which isolates cookies to the site that created them to prevent cross-site tracking. Firefox makes an exception for non-tracking cookies so websites continue to work.
Enhanced Tracking Protection protects you from ad and analytics trackers as well as cryptomining and fingerprinting trackers. Firefox lets you change your level of protection from Standard to Strict (default) or to Custom.
Enhanced Tracking Protection also clears cookies from websites you haven't interacted with in thirty days, or which are set by redirects to known tracking websites.
Table of Contents
See what is protected/blocked on a website
When Enhanced Tracking Protection is active, a shield icon will appear in the address bar. Its color will indicate whether or not a website has active trackers such as:
- Purple shield: the website has trackers that are being blocked.
- Tap the shield, and then tap each category of trackers to see exactly what’s being blocked.
- Black shield: protection is on but there are no trackers present on the website.
- Cross-out shield: protection is off for a specific website.
- No shield: protection is off across all websites.
Change protection level
Enhanced Tracking Protection is on by default, but you can turn it off or change your level of protection:
Tap the menu button.
- Tap .
- Tap .
- Tap the switch to turn it on or off.
- If turning it on, choose the level of protection you want.
- Standard: Protects you from social media trackers, cross-site trackers and cryptominers.
- Strict: Blocks tracking content (videos, ads and other content that contain tracking code) in addition to trackers blocked in the Standard setting. The Strict setting might block some website functionality.
- Custom: Blocks tracking content (videos, ads and other content that contain tracking code) but you can choose which trackers and scripts to block (cookies, tracking content, cryptominers and fingerprinters).
Turn protections on/off for individual websites
Turn Enhanced Tracking Protection off or on for a specific website. Turning it off for a specific website will add that website to your "Exceptions" list.
To turn Enhanced Tracking Protection off or on for a specific website:
- Tap the shield while you’re on the website that you want to manage.
- Tap the Enhanced Tracking Protection toggle to turn it on or off.
- If you’ve turned Enhanced Tracking Protection off, the website will be added to your "Exceptions" list and it will be off when you visit that website again.
- If turning Enhanced Tracking Protection on, the level of protection (Standard, Strict or Custom) that you’ve chosen as your default will apply to the individual website.
Manage your list of protection exception websites
Tap the menu button.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap in the Privacy and Security section.
- Tap .