Contributor News & Resources
- Revision id: 20545
- Creator: mluna
- Comment: changes to incorporate verdi's feedback, removed dev sched section, updated some links, update commitment language and list items
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Welcome, we are thrilled to have you as a contributor to the support. mozilla. org (SUMO) website! It's through your efforts that we are able to provide help to so many Firefox users.
Table of Contents
Big things this week
- Notes and video from this meeting.
- It was a short meeting but a lot of celebration!
- Everyone: please help us in testing Persona
- We have a list with the top contributors of all time, check the etherpad or watch the video to see it! We had a nice celebration!
- Update on the buddy program and on our Summit planned to unite all SUMO warriors!
- Contributors of the week: AlicyWyman, philipp, john99, italian team
- Current SUMO development sprint – 2013.18.
- Next SUMO meeting - Monday, Sept. 30th - (call in details & meeting notes) at 9:00 am PST. Please add your comments, questions and updates to the etherpad. You can also participate in #sumo during the meeting. We’re going to record and post a video of the meeting.
Contributor Help Wanted
- L1oN Contributor - Help to localize Firefox Help
- Forum Contributor - Answer user support questions that are most-requested but have no replies
- Feedback Support - Read and summarize user feedback from the user support forum and input to get a sense of the main issues and then update the User Feedback Report article
- Feedback Localizer - Read and summarize all feedback posted in your language and then update the User Feedback Report article
- Army of Awesome Contributor - Respond to tweets about Firefox
- KB Editor - Help to update knowledge base articles that need changes
Helpful links for contributors
Here we are gathering information about the way we work and general information that will be useful for all contributors. If you want to get updates about changes to a page, click on the link that says Get emailed when this article changes in the sidebar on the right.
We use the Contributor forums to discuss everything about Firefox Help. You can find many of us on the IRC (via Mibbit) channel for a chat. We also use the private message link on each profile to message individuals using SUMO.
Contributor and group directories
Attracting (and keeping) new collaborators has always been via a personal contact and coaching.
We have several ways you can get into personal contact with SUMO leaders and contributors for coaching. In addition to our user profiles, we have a forum thread for contributor introductions. We encourage you to register on Mozillians.org and add the SUMO tag to your profile.
The following table includes links to the groups in the SUMO project where you will find the group leaders and contributors.
|SUMO Development||SUMO Developers||SUMO Admins|
|Army of Awesome||Army of Awesome Contributors|
|Knowledge Base||KB Editors||KB Reviewers|
If there is anything wrong on SUMO, please let us know, so we can fix it. As usual at Mozilla, we use Bugzilla to track bugs. Check SUMO bugs to see if your issue is not yet in Bugzilla and just provide a summary and a brief description of the problem.
Besides our production servers at support.mozilla.org, we have two different staging servers available for testing:
- support-dev.allizom.org - AKA "-dev" - Updates constantly from our 'master' branch, so is running the latest code. Please attempt to reproduce bugs here before reporting. If they've been fixed already, they'll be fixed here.
- support.allizom.org - AKA "stage" - This typically updates on Wednesdays around 12pm ET/9am PT, though it may pick up updates more frequently. It runs our 'next' branch, and is the code that's planned for the next production push. If you want to make a change and are unsure how it works, you can test it on this server first.
Rules of SUMO
- Have fun!
- If in doubt, refer to Rule #1.
- When all else fails, do something you've never done before!
We consider everyone who helps a user to be a contributor and we ask you to make a greater commitment if you are able.
- Have fun and do new things!
- Help users as described in the How to contribute articles
- Commitment of one year
- Click Get emailed when this article changes on this page and read the News updates
- Let your group leader know if you have a change in circumstances that is impeding your ability to contribute
We ask for two additional commitments from group leaders.
- Update the SUMO status report for your group each week
- Attend one Mozilla-sponsored in-person event every two years
What if I am having trouble meeting my commitments?
Most of the contributors to SUMO are volunteers with other obligations that could unexpectedly make it hard for them to meet their obligations. If this happens to you, we have recommendations on how to handle it:
- Remember, you are not alone. Many contributors have been in this situation. No one will be surprised or disappointed to hear that you are having a hard time keeping up.
- Raise your hand and communicate. The more the rest of your group understands what you are going through, the easier it is for everyone. SUMO is very supportive, you may get more help than you imagined, just by letting people know. If you have to resign, it will be much easier on everyone if you let your group know sooner rather than later.
- Changes in status aren't permanent. If you need to lighten your load for a few months, that is usually manageable. When you are ready to take on more, we'll be happy to work with you. If you need to resign now, it doesn't mean that you can't rejoin the contributor group when circumstances change.
- Don't go silent. Disappearing is the worst response for everyone. Your group won't know whether to recruit a replacement or not. It doesn't matter what the reason is, just let us know, so we can help.