Contributor News & Resources
- Revision id: 20297
- Creator: mluna
- Comment: WIP to incorporate feedback, streamline and add placeholders for new ideas
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Welcome, we are thrilled to have you as a contributor to the support. mozilla. org (SUMO) website! It's through your efforts that we are able to provide help to so many Firefox users.
Big things this week
- Notes and video from this meeting.
- It was a short meeting but a lot of celebration!
- Everyone: please help us in testing Persona
- We have a list with the top contributors of all time, check the etherpad or watch the video to see it! We had a nice celebration!
- Update on the buddy program and on our Summit planned to unite all SUMO warriors!
- Contributors of the week: AlicyWyman, philipp, john99, italian team
- Current SUMO development sprint – 2013.18.
- Next SUMO meeting - Monday, Sept. 30th - (call in details & meeting notes) at 9:00 am PST. Please add your comments, questions and updates to the etherpad. You can also participate in #sumo during the meeting. We’re going to record and post a video of the meeting.
Getting Set Up
Refer to the Superheroes Wanted page for links to the latest step-by-step documentation of our setup processes.
The SUMO team was pioneered by contributors like you who are passionate about web technology and helping people use it.
We use groups to manage the organization across five general areas represented by the following globe. The image "roles globe" does not exist.
|Support Forum||LiveChat||Localization||Army of Awesome||Knowledge Base||Development|
|Moderators||LiveChat helpers||Bengali||Army of Awesome Contributors||KB Editors||SUMO Developers|
|Contributors||Brazilian Portuguese||KB Reviewers|
L1oN Contributor - Helps to localize Firefox Help and notifies the L10N lead of any issues.
Forum Contributor - Answers user support questions.
Feedback Support - Gathers user feedback from the user support forum and input to get a sense of the main issues and puts them into a quantifiable [report]. Works with support coordinator and QA to get details on specific product issues.
Feedback Localizer - Collects all feedback that comes in a non-English language and provides a [report].
Army of Awesome Contributor - Responds to tweets about Firefox.
KB Editor - Helps maintain knowledge base articles that need changes.
We ask for a few commitments from contributors.
- Fulfill the duties of your position as outlined by your group leader
- Commitment of at least one year
- Attend one SUMO meeting per quarter and provide a [status update]
- Attend one Mozilla-sponsored in-person event every two years
- Let your group leader know if you have a change in circumstances that is impeding your ability to contribute
What if I am having trouble meeting my commitments?
Most of the contributors to SUMO are volunteers with other obligations that could unexpectedly make it hard for them to meet their obligations. If this happens to you, we have recommendations on how to handle it:
- Remember, you are not alone. Many contributors have been in this situation. No one will be surprised or disappointed to hear that you are having a hard time keeping up.
- Raise your hand and communicate. The more the rest of your group understands what you are going through, the easier it is for everyone. SUMO is very supportive, you may get more help than you imagined, just by letting people know. If you have to resign, it will be much easier on everyone if you let your group know sooner rather than later.
- Changes in status aren't permanent. If you need to lighten your load for a few months, that is usually manageable. When you are ready to take on more, we'll be happy to work with you. If you need to resign now, it doesn't mean that you can't rejoin the contributor group when circumstances change.
- Don't go silent. Disappearing is the worst response for everyone. Your group won't know whether to recruit a replacement or not. It doesn't matter what the reason is, just let us know, so we can help.