Downloads window does not open
- Revision id: 655
- Creator: Chris Ilias
- Comment: remove extra step to go to profile folder in downloads.sqlite section
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization by: AnonymousUser
Follow the instructions in this article if you notice that the Downloads window fails to open when:
- Downloading files.
- Clicking on the menu and selecting .
For other downloading problems:
- For troubleshooting problems with downloading files, see the What to do if you can't download or save files article.
- If the list of downloads in the Downloads window is blank, see the Downloads window is blank article.
Table of Contents
Change Firefox settings
If you download a file and Firefox does not display the downloads window, you may have Firefox set not to open the Downloads window:
- Click the menu button and select . .
- Select the panel ( panel in Firefox 3.5).
- In the Downloads section, check the box for Show the Downloads window when downloading a file.
- Click Close the preferences window
After you close the OptionsPreferences window, Firefox should open the Downloads window automatically when you download a file.
If the Downloads window still fails to open after downloading a file, continue with the instructions below.
Reset toolbars and controls
If Firefox is set to remember what you've downloaded, but the downloads window still fails to open: Click the menu button , click help Click the menu button , click and select . Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.
You may need to specify the Firefox installation path (e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
- In the Firefox Safe Mode window, select Reset toolbars and controls.
- Click .
This will reset your Firefox toolbars. To make changes to the toolbars, see Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars article. If the Downloads window still fails to open after downloading a file, continue with the instructions below.
Remove corrupt downloads file
If Firefox is set to remember what you've downloaded, but its list of downloads is still blank:
Open your profile folder:
Click the menu button , click and select .From the The Troubleshooting Information tab will open. menu, choose .
Note: If you are unable to open or use Firefox, follow the instructions in Finding your profile without opening Firefox.
- Under the Application Basics section, click on A window will open that contains your profile folder.Your profile folder will open. .
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
Click the Firefox menu , then click .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen, then click .Click the Firefox menu , then click .
- Delete the downloads.sqlite file.
If the Downloads window still fails to open after downloading a file, continue to the Further troubleshooting section below.
If the Downloads window fails to open after performing the steps above:
- Follow the instructions in the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article - attempt to download a file in Firefox's Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode. If the list is shown properly, try to determine whether an addon is causing the problem.
- Follow the instructions in the Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems article - disable your plugins to try to determine whether one of them is causing the problem.