Downloads window does not open
This article is no longer maintained, so its content might be out of date.
Follow the instructions in this article if you notice that the Downloads window fails to open when:
- Downloading files.
- Clicking on the menu and selecting .
For other downloading problems:
- For troubleshooting problems with downloading files, see the What to do if you can't download or save files article.
- If the list of downloads in the Downloads window is blank, see the Downloads window is blank article.
Table of Contents
Change Firefox settings
If you download a file and Firefox does not display the downloads window, you may have Firefox set not to open the Downloads window:
- Click the menu button and choose . .
- Select the panel ( panel in Firefox 3.5).
- In the Downloads section, check the box for Show the Downloads window when downloading a file.
- Click Close the preferences window
After you close the OptionsPreferences window, Firefox should open the Downloads window automatically when you download a file.
If the Downloads window still fails to open after downloading a file, continue with the instructions below.
Reset toolbars and controls
If Firefox is set to remember what you've downloaded, but the downloads window still fails to open: Click the menu button , click help Click the menu button , click and select . Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.
You may need to specify the Firefox installation path (e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
- In the Firefox Safe Mode window, select Reset toolbars and controls.
- Click .
This will reset your Firefox toolbars. To make changes to the toolbars, see Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars article. If the Downloads window still fails to open after downloading a file, continue with the instructions below.
Remove corrupt downloads file
If Firefox is set to remember what you've downloaded, but its list of downloads is still blank:
Open your profile folder:
Click the menu button , click help Click the menu button , click and select . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
Note: If you are unable to open or use Firefox, follow the instructions in Finding your profile without opening Firefox.
- Under the Application Basics section, click on A window will open that contains your profile folder.Your profile folder will open. .
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
Click the Firefox menu , then click .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen, then click .Click the Firefox menu , then click .
- Delete the downloads.sqlite file.
If the Downloads window still fails to open after downloading a file, continue to the Further troubleshooting section below.
If the Downloads window fails to open after performing the steps above:
- Follow the instructions in the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article - attempt to download a file in Firefox's Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode. If the list is shown properly, try to determine whether an addon is causing the problem.
- Follow the instructions in the Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems article - disable your plugins to try to determine whether one of them is causing the problem.