SUMO community discussions

[Kitsune Release Notes] July 8, 2024

  1. Hey folks,

    Before you get confused with how SUMO look different today, please read this thread carefully to understand what's been updated recently:

    • Navigation update: the main SUMO navigation menu has been changed significantly. With this change, normal users who are not part of the contributor groups, will be directed to the /contribute page when they navigate to the Contribute menu. This will hopefully reduce the number of support questions we got in the contributor forum.
    • Support forum is now called Community Forums.
    • Introduction of the ability to browse by topic.
    • Attribution of pageviews of KB articles within Google Analytics has been significantly improved. It now accurately accounts for locale fallback. For example, if a KB article is requested in Spanish but displayed in English, because it hasn't yet been translated to Spanish, the pageview will be correctly attributed to the English KB article.

    We will be talking more about the navigation update in our community call on Wednesday. In the meantime, you can read the complete release notes here. Thanks!

    Hey folks, Before you get confused with how SUMO look different today, please read this thread carefully to understand what's been updated recently: * Navigation update: the main SUMO navigation menu has been changed significantly. With this change, normal users who are not part of the [/kb/contribution-area contributor groups], will be directed to the /contribute page when they navigate to the Contribute menu. This will hopefully reduce the number of support questions we got in the contributor forum. * ''Support forum'' is now called ''Community Forums''. * Introduction of the ability to browse by topic. * Attribution of pageviews of KB articles within Google Analytics has been significantly improved. It now accurately accounts for locale fallback. For example, if a KB article is requested in Spanish but displayed in English, because it hasn't yet been translated to Spanish, the pageview will be correctly attributed to the English KB article. We will be talking more about the navigation update in our community call on Wednesday. In the meantime, you can read the complete release notes [https://github.com/mozilla/kitsune/releases/tag/1.0.9 here]. Thanks!
  2. Nice changes. I was suspecting this was how most of the people asking for support were landing in our community forums area. My plan was just to completely hide those forums from view for regular users. Thanks for making this change :)

    Nice changes. I was suspecting this was how most of the people asking for support were landing in our community forums area. My plan was just to completely hide those forums from view for regular users. Thanks for making this change :)
  3. NoahSUMO said

    Nice changes. I was suspecting this was how most of the people asking for support were landing in our community forums area. My plan was just to completely hide those forums from view for regular users. Thanks for making this change :)

    Thanks, Noah! I'm glad you're on the same page with us.

    ''NoahSUMO [[#post-87830|said]]'' <blockquote> Nice changes. I was suspecting this was how most of the people asking for support were landing in our community forums area. My plan was just to completely hide those forums from view for regular users. Thanks for making this change :) </blockquote> Thanks, Noah! I'm glad you're on the same page with us.
  4. Isn't or can't there a way to hide this new distracting AAQ Widget that shows on all SUMO question pages that contributors wouldn't need?

    Isn't or can't there a way to hide this new distracting AAQ Widget that shows on all SUMO question pages that contributors wouldn't need?
  5. cor-el said

    Isn't or can't there a way to hide this new distracting AAQ Widget that shows on all SUMO question pages that contributors wouldn't need?

    Are you talking about the AAQ prompt in the sidebar?

    ''cor-el [[#post-87834|said]]'' <blockquote> Isn't or can't there a way to hide this new distracting AAQ Widget that shows on all SUMO question pages that contributors wouldn't need? </blockquote> Are you talking about the AAQ prompt in the sidebar?
  6. Good to see the links being fixed - it has been more than a few years.

    I agree with cor-el, the AAQ prompt is not something we need. It is in the sidebar on desktop, but is the centre on mobile and is kind of in the way a bit.

    Good to see the links being fixed - it has been more than a few years. I agree with cor-el, the AAQ prompt is not something we need. It is in the sidebar on desktop, but is the centre on mobile and is kind of in the way a bit.
  7. Thank you for all the responses folks! Keep the feedback coming!

    I hear you on the AAQ call-to-action box being a distraction. We've wanted to increase the availability of entrances into the AAQ flow with the goal being that new users and those who don't frequent the SUMO website find it easier to ask for support, no matter what page they're on. Maybe there's a way we can balance how and where it shows up. I don't want to promise anything on behalf of the Platform Engineering team, but one idea could be to hide it from the sidebar area if a user is logged in and is a contributor (the assumption being that if a user is a contributor they're probably familiar with where and how to ask for help in the Community forums and Contributor discussions).

    If you have any other questions, concerns, or feedback, please let me know! You can reach me via SUMO DM, Slack, email, or Matrix.

    Thank you for all the responses folks! Keep the feedback coming! I hear you on the AAQ call-to-action box being a distraction. We've wanted to increase the availability of entrances into the AAQ flow with the goal being that new users and those who don't frequent the SUMO website find it easier to ask for support, no matter what page they're on. Maybe there's a way we can balance ''how'' and ''where'' it shows up. I don't want to promise anything on behalf of the Platform Engineering team, but one idea could be to hide it from the sidebar area if a user is logged in ''and'' is a contributor (the assumption being that if a user is a contributor they're probably familiar with where and how to ask for help in the Community forums and Contributor discussions). If you have any other questions, concerns, or feedback, please let me know! You can reach me via SUMO DM, Slack, email, or Matrix.

    Modified by Josh Cajinarobleto on

  8. I think that the variable you mention is a good one. If the user is logged in and a contributor, it is not something we are going to need.

    I think that the variable you mention is a good one. If the user is logged in and a contributor, it is not something we are going to need.
  9. Kiki said

    • Support forum is now called Community Forums.

    Lots of KB articles use the term "Support forum". Can those articles be automatically updated to use the term "Community forum" instead? I suppose not so many articles will need updates, for example:

    ... and there are many more. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/contributor/forum

    The KB article "metadata" topics for Contributors KB articles will also need to be changed. They still show "Support Forum". Screenshot: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/52601

    ''Kiki [[#post-87829|said]]'' <blockquote> * ''Support forum'' is now called ''Community Forums''. </blockquote> Lots of KB articles use the term "Support forum". Can those articles be automatically updated to use the term "Community forum" instead? I suppose not so many articles will need updates, for example: *[[Answering questions on the Support Forum]] *[[Support forum - How to escalate]] *[[How to navigate and use the support forum platform]] ... and there are many more. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/contributor/forum The KB article "metadata" topics for Contributors KB articles will also need to be changed. They still show "Support Forum". Screenshot: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/52601

    Modified by AliceWyman on

  10. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask for information and report a somewhat annoying issue. I would have written here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/forums/contributors/716999?last=87689 but the thread has been rightly locked.
    Consulting some KB articles that I had recently updated, I realized that there is a issue with the display of dates which are shown with the American format (MM/DD/YYYY), but in Europe and in many other parts of the world we follow the format of day, month, year (DD/MM/YYYY).

    Another somewhat strange display is that some parts referring to "Last update:" (for example, "x day(s), x hour(s)") are localized, but if 1 day has not yet passed, the time is not localized (for example, "an hour/16 houres ago"). Better to see the image to understand what I'm referring to (image taken from Italian articles).
    Sumo Last updated date/time format
    I've localized a lot of Sumo strings on Pontoon over the last month, but the only string relevant to this issue was the percentage of users who voted the article helpful (the string is correctly localized in articles).
    I don't know if adding new strings to translate on Pontoon relating to the things I report (date/time) can solve this issue, and above all, if the change (especially the date format) is easily implementable in Kitsune.

    Thanks in advance and have a good weekend,
    Michele

    I don't know if this is the right thread to ask for information and report a somewhat annoying issue. I would have written here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/forums/contributors/716999?last=87689 but the thread has been rightly locked.<br> Consulting some KB articles that I had recently updated, I realized that there is a issue with the display of dates which are shown with the American format (MM/DD/YYYY), but in Europe and in many other parts of the world we follow the format of day, month, year (DD/MM/YYYY).<br><br> Another somewhat strange display is that some parts referring to "Last update:" (for example, "x day(s), x hour(s)") are localized, but if 1 day has not yet passed, the time is not localized (for example, "an hour/16 houres ago"). Better to see the image to understand what I'm referring to (image taken from Italian articles).<br>[[Image:Sumo Last updated date/time format]]<br> I've localized a lot of Sumo strings on Pontoon over the last month, but the only string relevant to this issue was the percentage of users who voted the article helpful (the string is correctly localized in articles).<br> I don't know if adding new strings to translate on Pontoon relating to the things I report (date/time) can solve this issue, and above all, if the change (especially the date format) is easily implementable in Kitsune. <br><br>Thanks in advance and have a good weekend, <br>Michele

    Modified by Michele Rodaro on