what are security updates and why are there so many?
Additional System Details
- Version 18.104.22.16817
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.29
- Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- SpeedTao Browser Plug-In
- LogMeIn remote control components
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- DivX Web Player version 22.214.171.124
- RealPlayer Plugin
- Pando Web Installer
- Yahoo! Installer Plug-in provides application installation support
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
Are you just talking about Firefox or in general.
I suppose the short answer is ther is an arms race between the good guys and the bad guys.
Criminal Hackers find and exploit any weakness they can see or create, and software developers try to fix and prevent the exploits. Developers make changes and improvements and hackers may be able then to discover new exploits. With Firefox some problems may relate to use of third party software or specific website configurations or actions.
This is however not a topic within the discussion scope of this forum you should find some security related site to discuss this.
- This site may be of some interest but is probably overly technical
- This lists Firefox fixes https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html
- And USA government advice