Firefox keeps reverting appearance and options after system reboot
Every time I reboot my system Firefox keeps doing the following..
1. All options reset to default. This includes using hardware acceleration which I keep off otherwise Firefox will crash after about 30min of use.
2. Forgets the Homepage I use and starts up displaying the default "welcome to FIrefox" screen.
3. Despite my installation of a theme, Firefox starts up with it's default skin, even though it says the theme is active. I have to manually select the default skin, restart firefox, select the theme, restart firefox again to get the appearance how I want.
4. Every tab I open has this "Firefox can't find the server at www.[r;;iåvÞyevq¾qîx»òki.com."
I've tried a Reset Firefox in the troubleshooting section, It did nothing. I've used various virus and malware scanners, while they deleted some viruses none of them seemed to be causing the issue. I've even tried an uninstall and reinstall of FIrefox, keeps doing the same thing. Suggestions will be welcome.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Google Update
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2068
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- DivX Plus Web Player version 220.127.116.11
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Office Live Update v1.5
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Your preferences are not saved
I'm not sure now about it being helpful. My son took this mess over and got it to keep the settings. It did not get us back to the usual Firefox appearance and we're still stuck with the new tab getting that "Problem loading page" but we've just learned to ignore it.
I may try to totally remove that Messenger upgrade to get rid of this once and for all.
Thanks for your reply. Consider my question closed.
What is the setting of the new tab page (pref: browser.newtab.url) ?
Some security software has virtualization or sandbox features that may cause problems by protecting and restoring files in the Firefox profile folder.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Hi back cor-el: I don't know, can't find pref. I found options, not pref's and on Tabs, all are checked except for the last that says: "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately"
And now, this last week, Spell check is not working or only works sporadically on some web sites. I have the selection for spell check set to check as I type, but, there it is.
Type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the "Enter" key to open the about:config page, just like you open a website by typing the URL in the location bar.
- If you see a warning message then you can confirm that you want to access the about:config page.
- use the Search bar at the top of the about:config page to locate preferences more easily
- preferences that have been modified and do not have the default value show as bold (user set)
- preferences that are user set (bold) can be reset to the default value via the right-click context menu
- preferences can be changed via the right-click context menu: Modify (String or Integer) or Toggle (Boolean) or by double-clicking the line with the pref
I did as instructed and changed 1 preference back to default. I shut down FF and then the PC to do a hard boot. After PC & FF restarted I got this same:
"Firefox can't find the server at www.[r;;iåvÞyevq¾qîx»òki.com." When I opened a new Tab.
These are the Preferences now in about:config. browser.preferences.animateFadeIn;false browser.preferences.inContent;false browser.preferences.instantApply;false
Seems like something is missing but I don't know what.
Spell check still does not work on the Washington Post web site but does work on two other national news pages on the web that I read.
My son says, now that I've done the deed that he will have to put the "add-ons" back into FF. He did delete / remove that "new" version of Messenger, a/k/a skype.
Any thoughts on this mess?