when try to serch using google, I get:Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.0
- Winamp Application Detector
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Keep your drivers up to date with Driver Agent. Designed for Firefox, Opera, Mozilla and Netscape; version 2.2006.11.9
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Mozilla ActiveX control and plugin module
- Alambik Viewer Plugin Version 2.00. For more informations : Alambik Viewer
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
Just upgraded to 17.01, using Winxp
I have no problem searching with yahoo and no problem if I open up the google home page(google.com) to do a search. I have no problems connecting to any other sites.
my only problem is using the google search button on the upper right of the page.
I am using noscript, and abine.com do not track as well as google sharing.
I did not have problems with any of the previous versions of Firefox
thanks for your help
It sounds like you are being blocked by your computer's firewall or an antivirus program. Disable them temporarily, and tell me if it fixes the problem. If it does, you might want to take a look at the settings, and manually unblock Google.
your suggestions did not work. Before I sent my request for help, I pinged google.com from the dos prompt. I can only access the google home page by using the google IP address-http://184.108.40.206/. I still cannot access google search from the search button on my firefox home page. there is nothing blocking it in my firewall and nothing blocking it from my Avast antivirus program. I have Avast set up to "ask" before taking any action such as blocking a web site. As previously stated, I had no problem before updating to the latest version of Firefox yesterday. I'm pretty much computer knowledgeable but in this situation, I'm totally in the dark. I have no problem accessing Gmail. I have noscript set to fully allow google.com.
Í have been using the add on google sharing program from abine. com for several months and have had no problems in the past since I began using it.
IF I disable the google sharing program, google search and access to google.com both work just fine.
Any ideas about that ????
Thanks again for your help. BTW-we hve never user IE as our browser. We began with Netscape in 1994 and began using FF as soon as it was available.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Thank you so much for your suggestions-I'll try them today and report back about how successful I've been. I'm already running spybot in "paranoid" mode and did a full scan prior to posting my request for assistance the other day. My spybot scan did not detect any problems.
Co-rel, followed all of your suggestions, scanned PC with all of the programs and my PC is clean. As previously reported, I only have the problem IF Google Sharing is enabled!
Any other suggestions?
thanks again for your assistance
i am currently having this issue. woke up one day and BAM...FF doesn't work. same exact error message as one posted. uninstalled and reinstalled FF to no avail. IE is only browser that will work. called cable company....they were no help. downloaded all the suggested spyware/malware links and nothing was detected. i am not a tech savvy person, but have literally done everything suggested from everyone to figure out problem.
clueless as how to proceed at this point.