How can I set the default home page in Firefox 4 for all users that login to a PC on a Win 7 PC?
I work at a community college in upstate NY. We use Firefox as the default browser at our institution and we have always set the default homepage to be our homepage for all users that login to the PC. We had a procedure to to that that worked with Windows XP and FF 3 or earlier
We would do the following: 1. go to: c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\FireFox\Profiles\<profile_name>\prefs.js 2. Add the line: user_pref (“browser.startup.homepage”,”http://www.genesee.edu”); 3. Copy the Folder C:\Documents & Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla To C:\Documents & Settings\Default User\Application Data\Mozilla 4. Restart the computer
We're going to Win 7 and Firefox 4 and things seem to be different in terms of files and file structure. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance.
Additional System Details
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Cooliris embedded in a tab
- JInitiator 184.108.40.206 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- F5 Networks CacheCleaner
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.4"
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r159
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.110
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_24 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Google Update
- Version 1.1.4, copyright 1996-2010 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Making customisation from the default profile is generally considered poor practice and quite often doesn't work out as planned. (If you're interested in some more information on this, see here see here)
This article should help you with developing and deploying your customised Firefox 4 installation (without touching the Windows 7 default user profile):