how do i block all the brown pop-up things upper right hand corner virtually every web page?
i don't know what they are and i can't block them. they appear on almost every page i visit and i hate them soo much! i'm not suggesting it is a firefox problem just, if i can have it my way i will never see another one ever.
Ghostery is the culprit! “Ghostery allows you to detect trackers on the sites you visit, learn more about the companies behind them, and control their visibility into your online behavior...” from Ghostery websiteRead this answer in context 4
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
not long ago, perhaps months.
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 220.127.116.11
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Version 0.8.6f, copyright 1996-2007 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- Java Plug-in 1.6.0_03 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.5.13
someone suggested adblock plus but it just doesn't stop them. sometimes they are small lists sometime larger, i notice" google analytics" on many. "remove this object" addon can make then go away but they often disappear when i right click on them.
Do a malware check with a few malware scan programs.
You need to use all programs because each detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of the database before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
See also "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked and What to do when searches take you to the wrong search website
cor-el, thank you for your reply and i appreciate your suggestions. i upload an image to point out what i refer to. i don't think it's malware. what do you say? upper right hand corner.
I don't see that purple box in the upper-right corner of this page.
Unless you installed something into Firefox that adds that feature, my guess is Malware considering it is more than just that one web page.
thank you the-edmeis... i will remove all addons 1 by 1 and check again. i will rescan using the full list suggested by cor-el. i just think of malware as doing something and this box with lined through words like "web trends, doubleclick, google analytics, addthis, facebook connect, google adsense, quantcast, " doesn't do anything. no matter left or right click all it does is disappear." i thought a list of my addons was included in the original post.
i'm not into any social network stuff and i use scroogle for searching, on my laptop this appears to be brown but perhaps it could be purple.
I'm getting the same thing. I used to remember what it was - I'm thinking it has to do with Google Anyalytics? I don't want to get rid of it necessarily and I can't remember exactly what its function is either, but I would like to control it so it doesn't always pop-up each time I click on a tab.
Try the Firefox SafeMode first. Much quicker than uninstalling addons.
Don't select anything right now, just use "Continue in SafeMode."
If that problem is gone in the Firefox SafeMode, see this:
Ghostery is the culprit! “Ghostery allows you to detect trackers on the sites you visit, learn more about the companies behind them, and control their visibility into your online behavior...” from Ghostery website
Modified by Lion
^ Yup, looks like Ghostery is the culprit.
Check out the 3rd screenshot on the AMO Ghostery addon page.
BIG SHOUT OUT to say THANK YOU!!!!
Thank you, MAN I feel so much better!