Default Search Engine setting for Location Bar not being invoked
Have set default search engine for Location bar to Google but it doesn't work - always seems to use Yahoo (which I don't want). Have tried clearing history to make sure that no previous Yahoo searches get picked up (searching Bookmarks and History) but every time I type something in the Locator bar that implies a Search -- Yahoo comes up. Note that I my default Search Engine in the Search Bar is Google and it DOES work . I've gone so far as to remove Yahoo from the list of alternate search engines in that Bar too.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
Shortly after I decided to clear my cache (and history too, I think)
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 103
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.1"
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2065
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_22 for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12
Note that I've done a search on this issue before and followed the suggestion for re-setting default engine to Google (about:config, etc.) and yes.. Yahoo WAS the default engine .. but I reset it to Google and have checked it since to ensure that it hasn't changed to Yahoo. It's still Google but Yahoo is what gets invoked, regardless.
I ran into this post when googling for the reason why I was getting this problem as well. It turns out that in my case McAfee has designated Yahoo as it's "safe search" engine and re-writes Yahoo as the default search engine to pop up when you type something into the URL bar.
I found this explantion on fixing it, but am clueless how to replace it with a google search string. ( http://www.ghacks.net/2008/04/20/change-the-firefox-location-bar-search-engine/ )
Changing it to google btw makes McAfee pop up and say I have selected a non secure search option and whether I want to change it back.
Thats the google URL to input in the field to put it back to google as a default.
Yahoo toolbar has perhaps taken over your browser. To change the default search engine for location bar,
Type in location bar - about:config Search using filter - keyword.URL Replace the yahoo address with - http://www.google.com/search?q=