How do I stop address bar from suggesting random sites that are incomplete (a link to a button or word, etc), i.e. typing in 'wik' suggests 'facebook.com' instead of 'wikipedia.org', and facebook seems to be dominating these non-logical choices?
In the location bar, when I begin to type in a website, It suggests a facebook link, or a link to a history/bookmarked site. This suggested link does not direct me to an actual website, but merely a button (such as "recommend this", yet there is nothing to recommend--the site is blank except for the button), or some other facet of html, such as an icon, or a word.
In summary, when I begin to type in wikipedia, the location bar suggests bookmarks. Yet, I did not bookmark sites such as facebook, so why does the location bar claim it is one of my bookmarks, indicating such with a gold star? Instead of suggesting wikipedia, it always suggests facebook. This makes no sense, thus I am forced to turn off the location bar suggestion regime to 'nothing' rather than 'history and bookmarks'. This is very annoying, because I like this feature, yet it seems to be malfunctioning at the moment.
Thanks for any insight.
Additional System Details
- -Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.0
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Delivery Network Acceleration by BitTorrent™
- DivX Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- Google Update
- Java Plug-in 1.6.0_10 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6
Open Containing Folder
Java Quick Starter
You can set the pref browser.urlbar.default.behavior to 33 (visited+typed) or 49 (match url+visited+typed) on the about:config page. See also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search http://kb.mozillazine.org/browser.urlbar.default.behavior
To open the about:config page, type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the Enter key, just like you type the url of a website to open a website. If you see a warning then you can confirm that you want to access that page.