Permissions Manager - Give certain websites the ability to store passwords, set cookies and more
- Revision id: 32869
- Creator: underpass
- Comment: plugins cannot be blocked on a per-site basis unless the preference plugins.click_to_play is set to true (default is false)
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: scoobidiver
- Is approved? No
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: No
Instead of hunting all over Firefox to change various website permissions, the Permissions Manager now collects them all in one place. You can customize permissions for individual sites or set the default permissions for all sites. This article will get you started.
Table of Contents
How do I open the Permissions Manager?
To open the Permissions Manager, just type the words about:permissions into the location bar as if it were a website and hit Enter. The current tab will be replaced by the Permissions Manager.
On the left hand side you'll see a search bar with a list of all the websites you've been to below it. The right hand side lists the various website permissions that Firefox stores.
What permissions can I manage?
The Permissions Manager gives you easy access to the following:
- Store passwords: Allow or block Firefox from storing passwords for the website(s). Click Password manager - Remember, delete and change saved passwords in Firefox for more information. to open the Password Manager where you can view or delete individual passwords. See
- Share Location: Set Firefox to always ask for your permission, automatically allow (only for a single website) or block it from sharing your current location to the website(s). See the Location-Aware Browsing FAQ for more info.Note: Your public IP address can always be seen, which may be used to determine your general location (city, region, etc.).
- Set Cookies: Allow the website(s) to set cookies, set them just for the current session or block them from being set. You can remove cookies by clicking Cookies - Information that websites store on your computer article for more. or manage individual cookies by clicking . See the
- Open Pop-up windows: Block or allow the website(s) to open pop-up windows. See the Pop-up blocker settings, exceptions and troubleshooting article for details.
- Maintain Offline Storage: Set Firefox to always ask for your permission, automatically allow (only for a single website) or block it from storing website(s) information on your computer for use when you are offline.
- Plugins (if set to Always Ask for All Sites): Set Firefox to always ask for your permission, automatically allow or block it.
- Fullscreen: Set Firefox to always ask for your permission, automatically allow (only for a single website) or block it from being displayed in full screen for the website(s).
How do I manage permissions for a single website?
To work with a single website you have to select it from the list on the left side. You can quickly narrow down that long list by typing part of the site's address in the search box. Once you've selected a site, you can manage its permissions with the settings on the right.
- When working with a single site you can also click the Warning: All history items (browsing and download history, cookies, cache, active logins, passwords, saved form data, exceptions for cookies, images, pop-ups) for that site will be removed. button to delete everything Firefox has stored for that site.
How do I manage the default permissions for all websites?
To manage the default permissions for all websites select All Sites from the top of the list of websites. Now the settings on the right represent the default permissions for all websites.