Fix problems that cause images to not show
- Revision id: 32104
- Creator: scoobidiver
- Comment: fixed links, removed sections related to outdated articles, removed WinXP screenshot, reset Firefox, added keyword
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: mluna
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: mluna
If you are experiencing difficulty downloading or viewing images through Firefox, follow the troubleshooting instructions below.
This article applies to:
- Still image file formats such as PNG, GIF, and JPG
- Animated file formats like animated GIF
This article does not apply to the following formats:
- Video, such as MPG, WMV, and AVI. For more information, see Fix common audio and video issues.
- Animated content that is displayed through a plugin, such as the Flash plugin. Learn more in Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems.
Table of Contents
Check image permissions
Firefox allows you to prevent images from loading for certain websites to make pages load faster. If you are having trouble viewing images:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button and then select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and then select .On the menu bar, click on the menu and select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and select .
Click the menu button and choose . .
- OptionsPreferences window, select the panel.
- Make sure there is a check mark next to Load images automatically
- Click on next to Load images automatically to open the Exceptions - Images window.
- In the Exceptions - Images window, look at the list of sites. Make sure the sites with which you're having trouble are not in the list.
- Click to closeClose the Exceptions - Images window.
- Click to close the Options window.Click to close the Preferences window.Close the Preferences window.
Clear cookies and cache
Sometimes problems loading websites can be fixed by clearing the cookies and cache.
Some Internet security software (including antivirus and anti-spyware programs, firewalls, privacy programs, and others) may identify and block certain images as web bugs or may prevent images from animating. Check the settings for your Internet security program to make sure it allows images to load.
Images load the first time but not later
The RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension (installed with RealPlayer) can cause Firefox to show images correctly upon the first visit to a website, but not on subsequent visits or refreshes. Disabling this extension will fix the problem.
- Open the RealPlayer program.
- Go to the menu and click on .
- Go to the section and uncheck the option Enable Web Download & Recording for these installed browsers.
- Click .
Or see the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for instructions on how to disable or uninstall extensions in Firefox.
Images load but look wrong
If images on websites load, but don't look right or don't look the way they do in other browsers:
- If you are using any sort of web accelerator software, disable it and see if images load properly. For more information, see the documentation that came with the software.
- If the image area shows text or some form of gibberish, see the MozillaZine Knowledge Base article Page displays as gibberish.
Other reasons why images may not load
- The site that displays the images may be down or experiencing difficulties. To verify, try loading the site from a different computer or browser.
- Some pathnames to images contain backslashes (e.g. example.com\MyImage.jpg). In browsers other than Internet Explorer, these pathnames do not load. If you see that the image's URL contains a backslash, contact the site's webmaster about the issue.
Images still do not load correctly
If you have tried all of the solutions in this article and images or animations still don't load correctly:
- Try resetting Firefox.
- Follow the other steps in the Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems article.
Based on information from Images or animations do not load (mozillaZine KB)