Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox
- Revision id: 32592
- Creator: scoobidiver
- Comment: fixed links, removed links to archived/unrelated articles, no ref. to persona, drop support for fx35, added keyword
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Add-ons are like apps that you install to add bells & whistles to Firefox. You can get add-ons that compare prices, check the weather, change the look of Firefox, listen to music, or even update your Facebook profile. This article covers the different types of add-ons available and how to find and install them.
Table of Contents
What types of add-ons can I install?
There are three general types of add-ons:
Extensions add new features to Firefox or modify existing ones. There are extensions that allow you to block advertisements, download videos from websites, integrate Firefox with websites like Facebook or Twitter, and even add features from other browsers.
There are two types of appearance add-ons: full themes, which changes the look of buttons & menus, and background themes, which decorate the menu bar and tab strip with a background image.
Plugins let you add support for all kinds of Internet content. These usually include patented formats like Flash, QuickTime, and Silverlight that are used for video, audio, online games, presentations, and more. Plugins are created and distributed by other companies.
To view which add-ons you have installed:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP), and then click On the menu bar, click on the menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons Manager tab will open. menu, and then click
- Select the , or panels.
How do I find and install add-ons?
Here is an overview to get you started:
Click the menu button and choose. The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the panel.
- To see more information on a Featured Add-on or Persona, click it. You can then click the green
button to install it.
- You can also search for specific add-ons by using the search box at the top. You can then install any add-ons you find with the button.
- Firefox will download the requested add-on and may ask you to confirm that you want to install it.
- Click if it pops up. Your tabs will be saved and restored after the restart.
Some extensions place an icon in the Add-on Bar after installation. For more information, see The Add-on Bar gives you quick access to add-on features
If you want to uninstall an add-on, see Disable or remove Add-ons.
For information on troubleshooting problems with extensions, plugins, or themes, see the articles below.
Problems with installing or uninstalling add-ons
Disabled or blocklisted add-ons
- Re-enable add-ons that were disabled when updating Firefox
- Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist
Problems caused by add-ons
- Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems
- Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems
- Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware
- Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page