Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox
- Revision id: 11648
- Creator: Verdi
- Comment: New intro that combines the old intro and what are add-ons section, screenshots for all OSs, small phrasing tweaks
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Add-ons are like apps that you install to add bells & whistles to Firefox. You can get add-ons that compare prices, check the weather, change the look of Firefox, listen to music, or even update your Facebook profile. This article covers the different types of add-ons available and how to find and install them.
Table of Contents
What types of add-ons can I install?
There are three general types of add-ons:
Extensions add new features to Firefox, or modify existing ones. There are extensions that allow you to block advertisements, download videos from websites, integrate Firefox with websites like Facebook or Twitter, and add features you see in other browsers.
There are two types of appearance add-ons — themes, which changes the look of buttons and menus and Personas, which decorate the menu bar and tab strip with a background image.
Plugins let you add the ability for Firefox to play all kinds of Internet content. These usually include patented formats like Flash, Quicktime and Silverlight that are used for video, audio, online games, presentations, and more. Plugins are created and distributed by other companies.
To view which add-ons you have installed:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP), and then click On the menu bar, click on the menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons Manager tab will open menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu, and select On the menu bar, click on the menu, and select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons window will open menu, and select .
- Select the , or panels.
How do I find and install add-ons?
Here is an overview to get you started:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the buttonOn the menu bar, click on the menuAt the top of the Firefox window, click on the , and then click menu . The Add-ons Manager tab will open. Click the menu button and choose . The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the panel.
- To see more information on the Featured Add-ons or Personas, just click on one of them. You can then click the green button to install it.To install a recommended add-on, just click the
- You can also search for specific add-ons by using the search box at the top. You can then install any add-ons you find with the button.
- Firefox will then download the requested add-on and may ask you to confirm that you want to install it.
- Click the button that may pop up. Your tabs will be saved and restored after the restart.
After having installed some extensions, you can get an icon of the extension in the Add-on bar depending on how the developer made it available. For more information, see The Add-on Bar gives you quick access to add-on features.
If you want to uninstall an add-on, see Disable or remove Add-ons.
For information on troubleshooting problems with extensions, plugins, or themes, see the articles below.
Problems with installing or uninstalling add-ons
- Unable to install add-ons (extensions or themes)
- Unexpected installation error -203 when installing add-ons
- Cannot remove an add-on (extension or theme)
Disabled or blocklisted add-ons
- Re-enable add-ons that were disabled when updating Firefox
- Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist