Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox
- Revision id: 11635
- Creator: scoobidiver
- Comment: appearance for fx4, themes for fx35, other minor fixes
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Through add-ons, you can customize Firefox to meet your needs and tastes. This article explains what add-ons are and how to get and install them.
Table of Contents
What are add-ons?
Add-ons are small pieces of software created by people all over the world, that add new features or functionality to your installation of Firefox. Add-ons can augment Firefox with new search engines, foreign-language dictionaries, or change the visual appearance of Firefox. Through add-ons, you can customize Firefox to meet your needs and tastes.
There are three kinds of add-ons depending on their purpose:
Extensions add new features to Firefox, or modify existing ones. There are extensions that allow you to block advertisements, download videos from websites, integrate more closely with websites like Facebook or Twitter, and add features you see in other browsers.
An appearance, also named theme, changes the look of buttons and menus. Personas are types of themes that decorate the Menu Bar and Tab Strip with a background image.
A plugin is a piece of software that manage Internet content that Firefox is not designed to process. These usually include patented formats for video, audio, online games, presentations, and more. Plugins are created and distributed by other companies.
To view which add-ons you have installed:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP), and then click On the menu bar, click on the menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons Manager tab will open menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu, and select On the menu bar, click on the menu, and select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons window will open menu, and select .
- Select the , or panels.
How do I get and install add-ons?
Here is an overview to get you started:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the buttonOn the menu bar, click on the menuAt the top of the Firefox window, click on the , and then click menu . The Add-ons Manager tab will open. Click the menu button and choose . The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the panel.
- To see more information on the Featured Add-ons or Personas, just click on one of them. You can then click the green button to install it.To install a recommended add-on, just click the button.
- You can also search for specific add-ons by using the search box at the top. You can then install any add-ons you find with the button.
- Firefox will then download the requested add-on and may ask you to confirm that you want to install it.
- Click the button that may pop up. Your tabs will be saved and restored after the restart.
After having installed some extensions, you can get an icon of the extension in the Add-on bar depending on how the developer made it available. For more information, see The Add-on Bar gives you quick access to add-on features.
If you want to uninstall an add-on, see Disable or remove Add-ons.
For information on troubleshooting problems with extensions, plugins, or themes, see the articles below.
Problems with installing or uninstalling add-ons
- Unable to install add-ons (extensions or themes)
- Unexpected installation error -203 when installing add-ons
- Cannot remove an add-on (extension or theme)
Disabled or blocklisted add-ons
- Re-enable add-ons that were disabled when updating Firefox
- Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist