Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox
- Revision id: 11334
- Creator: Cww
- Comment: Updated for fx4, added instructions for installing
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Add-ons are small pieces of software created by people all over the world, that add new features or functionality to your installation of Firefox. Add-ons can augment Firefox with new search engines, foreign-language dictionaries, or change the visual appearance of Firefox. Through add-ons, you can customize Firefox to meet your needs and tastes.
Extensions add new features to Firefox, or modify existing ones. There are extensions that allow you to block advertisements, download videos from websites, integrate more closely with websites like Facebook or Twitter, and add features you see in other browsers.
Personas are background images that you can use to decorate the menu and tab bars of Firefox. You can also use themes which are more involved and can change the appearance of buttons and menus.
A plugin is a piece of software that manage internet content that Firefox is not designed to process. These usually include patented formats for video, audio, online games, presentations, and more. Plugins are created and distributed by other companies.
To view which add-ons you have installed, open the menu and select open the menu and select open the menu and select open the . This will open the Add-ons manager menu and select tabwindow. If you have the traditional menu bar, you can access the Add-ons manager from the menu.
You can read more details about installing specific kinds of add-ons in each of the articles linked above. Here is just an overview to get you started.
- Open the add-ons manager tabwindow by selecting from the menuselecting from the menuselecting . from the menuIf you have the traditional menu bar, you can access the Add-ons manager from the menu.
- To see more information one of the Featured add-ons or personas, just click on one of them. You can then click the green to install it.To install a recommended add-on, just click the button."
- You can also search for specific add-ons by using the search box at the top. You can then install any add-ons you find with the button.
- Firefox will then download the requested add-on and may ask you to confirm that you want to install it.
- New Some extensions need Firefox to restart before they can be used. You can restart Firefox quickly by clicking the button that pops up. Your tabs will be saved and restored after the restart.
For information on troubleshooting problems with extensions, plugins, or themes, see the articles below:
- Unable to install add-ons (extensions or themes)
- Disable or remove Add-ons
- Cannot remove an add-on (extension or theme)
- Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems
- Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems