Contributor News & Resources
- Revision id: 69184
- Creator: scootergrisen
- Comment: remove 1 column to allow for translation that might have longer words and not have the table content ved wider then the pagecontent
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Thanks for contributing to the support. mozilla. org (SUMO) website! It's through your efforts that we are able to provide help to so many Firefox users.
Table of Contents
What's new at SUMO
Join our weekly meeting or read the meeting notes. You can find the details here.
Contributor Help Wanted
- L10n Contributor - Help to translate Firefox Help content to your language.
- Forum Contributor - Answer user support questions that are most-requested but have no replies
- Army of Awesome Contributor - Respond to tweets about Firefox
- KB Editor - Help to update knowledge base articles that need changes
Helpful links for contributors
As a public good organization, our work results are made public, and you can watch as we improve our services.
- SUMO Roadmap tells you what we are planning on working on for the end of the year.
As usual at Mozilla, we use Bugzilla to track bugs and enhancement requests.
- If there is anything wrong on SUMO, please let us know so we can fix it. Just provide a summary and a brief description of the problem.
- You can browse a list of recently reported bugs and recently fixed bugs to see what types of issues we track.
Besides our production servers at support.mozilla.org, we have a staging server available for testing:
- support.allizom.org - AKA "stage" - Updates constantly from our 'master' branch, so is running the latest code. Please attempt to reproduce bugs here before reporting. If they've been fixed already, they'll be fixed here. If you want to make a change and are unsure how it works, you can test it on this server first.
If you want to watch changes to articles, go the KB dashboard, click the link on the top that says Email me when revisions are… and select the appropriate checkboxes.
If you would like to take part in a meeting, please read this article - How to participate in SUMO contributor meetings.
Weekly Meeting: We have a weekly meeting where the team discusses the latest developments. The meeting is held on Monday at 9am PT. This page lists the call in information and meeting notes. Please add your comments, questions and updates to the wiki. You can also participate in #sumo during the meeting.
Weekly Platform Meeting: A weekly meeting about the platform that powers SUMO is also held on Thursday at 9am PT. This page lists the call in information and meeting notes. Please add your comments, questions and updates to the wiki. You can also participate in #sumo during the meeting.
We use the Contributor forums to discuss everything about Firefox Help. You can find many of us on the IRC (via Mibbit) channel for a chat. We also use the private message link on each profile to message individuals using SUMO.
Contributor and group directories
Attracting (and keeping) new collaborators has always been via a personal contact and coaching.
We have several ways you can get into personal contact with SUMO leaders and contributors for coaching. In addition to our user profiles, we have a forum thread for contributor introductions. We encourage you to register on Mozillians.org and add the SUMO tag to your profile.
The following table includes links to the groups in the SUMO project where you will find the group leaders and contributors.
|Support Forum||Moderators||Forum Helpers|
|SUMO Development||SUMO Developers||SUMO Admins|
|Army of Awesome||Army of Awesome Contributors|
|Quality Assurance||Quality Assurance Contributors|
|Knowledge Base||KB Editors||KB Reviewers||KB Researchers|
We consider everyone who helps a user to be a contributor and we ask you to make a greater commitment if you are able.
- Have fun and do new things!
- Help users as described in the How to contribute articles
- Commitment of one year
- Click Get emailed when this article changes on this page and read the News updates
- Let your group leader know if you have a change in circumstances that is impeding your ability to contribute
We ask for two additional commitments from group leaders.
- Update the SUMO status report for your group each week
- Attend one Mozilla-sponsored in-person event every two years
What if I am having trouble meeting my commitments?
Most of the contributors to SUMO are volunteers with other obligations that could unexpectedly make it hard for them to meet their obligations. If this happens to you, we have recommendations on how to handle it:
- Remember, you are not alone. Many contributors have been in this situation. No one will be surprised or disappointed to hear that you are having a hard time keeping up.
- Raise your hand and communicate. The more the rest of your group understands what you are going through, the easier it is for everyone. SUMO is very supportive, you may get more help than you imagined, just by letting people know. If you have to resign, it will be much easier on everyone if you let your group know sooner rather than later.
- Changes in status aren't permanent. If you need to lighten your load for a few months, that is usually manageable. When you are ready to take on more, we'll be happy to work with you. If you need to resign now, it doesn't mean that you can't rejoin the contributor group when circumstances change.
- Don't go silent. Disappearing is the worst response for everyone. Your group won't know whether to recruit a replacement or not. It doesn't matter what the reason is, just let us know, so we can help.