Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist
- Revision id: 36426
- Creator: rjbd
- Comment: Added the "Add-on tools" icon on line 27.
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: AliceWyman
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: AliceWyman
Add-ons (extensions, themes, and plugins) that are known to cause stability or security issues with Firefox are put on a "blocklist".
Table of Contents
- 1 What does the blocklist do?
- 2 Steps to take
- 3 What unsafe add-ons are on the blocklist?
What does the blocklist do?
Disables unsafe add-ons
Firefox will block the unsafe add-on from loading and present you with the following message:
To prevent these add-ons from running, click .
Blocks unsafe add-ons from being installed
When you try to install an unsafe add-on that is on the blocklist, Firefox will block the installation and display the message:
Prevents plugins from running automatically
Firefox can prevent a plugin from running automatically (which prevents many issues). When Firefox blocks a plugin you'll see a message similar to this:
You can then choose to run the plugin or update it (if an update is available). To learn more, see Why do I have to click to activate plugins?
Steps to take
If the installed add-on is disabled
Extension or theme
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP), and then click On the menu bar, click on the menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons Manager tab will open. menu, and then click
- On the "Tools for all add-ons" menu, make sure that the menu is checked.
To check if any of your installed plugins are out of date, visit Mozilla's Plugin Check & Updates page.
If you were blocked from installing an add-on, check to see if there is an updated version of the add-on you were trying to install.
What unsafe add-ons are on the blocklist?
See the list of blocked add-ons.