Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist
- Revision id: 10702
- Creator: scoobidiver
- Comment: updated for fx4, unsafe added in front of add-ons, added summary and keywords
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: Verdi
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: Verdi
Add-ons (extensions, themes, and plugins) that are known to cause stability or security issues with Firefox are put on a "blocklist."
Table of Contents
What does the blocklist do?
Disables unsafe add-ons
Firefox will block the unsafe add-on from loading and present you with the following message:
To prevent these add-ons from running, click .
Blocks unsafe add-ons from being installed
When you try to install an unsafe add-on that is on the blocklist, Firefox will block the installation and display the message:
Steps to take
If the installed add-on is disabled
Extension or theme
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP), and then click On the menu bar, click on the menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons Manager tab will open. menu, and then click
- On the "Tools for all add-ons" menu, make sure that the menu is checked.
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu, and select On the menu bar, click on the menu, and select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons window will open. menu, and select
- Select the or panel depending on the kind of add-on.
- Then click . If Firefox finds an update, you will be prompted to install it and restart Firefox.
To check if any of your installed plugins are out of date, visit Mozilla's Plugin Check & Updates page.
If you were blocked from installing an add-on, check to see if there is an updated version of the add-on you were trying to install.