SUMO community discussions

'Reply' does not work on support forum but works here..

1. I hit "reply' on the support forum on responses but it does not work. Does anybody else have this issue? I have same issue with chrome. It works well here on the support forum.. Thanks!

I hit "reply' on the support forum on responses but it does not work. Does anybody else have this issue? I have same issue with chrome. It works well here on the support forum.. Thanks!
  2. i happen sometimes to me also, Firefox File Menu > Exit and give a try....

i happen sometimes to me also, <b>Firefox File Menu > Exit </b>and give a try....
  3. iamjayakumars said

i happen sometimes to me also, Firefox File Menu > Exit and give a try....

I don't understand your instructions.

''iamjayakumars [[#post-50505|said]]'' <blockquote> i happen sometimes to me also, <b>Firefox File Menu > Exit </b>and give a try.... </blockquote> I don't understand your instructions.
  4. Goto Firefox Menubar > Firefox (left top) >Exit

Goto Firefox Menubar > Firefox (left top) >Exit
  5. Hello Andrew, you mean you can't do the next in support forum :

feer56 said

iamjayakumars said
    i happen sometimes to me also, Firefox File Menu > Exit and give a try....

I don't understand your instructions.

confirm that. Always is like that, probably for a reason

thank you

Hello Andrew, you mean you can't do the next in support forum : ''feer56 [[#post-50506|said]]'' <blockquote> ''iamjayakumars [[#post-50505|said]]'' <blockquote> i happen sometimes to me also, <b>Firefox File Menu > Exit </b>and give a try.... </blockquote> I don't understand your instructions. </blockquote> confirm that. Always is like that, probably for a reason thank you
  6. feer56 said

I hit "reply' on the support forum on responses but it does not work. Does anybody else have this issue? I have same issue with chrome. It works well here on the support forum.. Thanks!

What do you mean by "does not work"?

If you mean that it doesn't quote the reply response, that only works on the contributors forum. On the support forum, clicking "Reply" just takes you to the "Post a Reply" box.

''feer56 [[#post-50499|said]]'' <blockquote> I hit "reply' on the support forum on responses but it does not work. Does anybody else have this issue? I have same issue with chrome. It works well here on the support forum.. Thanks! </blockquote> What do you mean by "does not work"? If you mean that it doesn't quote the <s>reply</s> response, that only works on the contributors forum. On the support forum, clicking "Reply" just takes you to the "Post a Reply" box.

Modified by AliceWyman on

7. What I am saying is that when I hit reply on the threads on the support forum the text is not copied over to the reply box. It works well here on the contributors forum. What Jay suggested is not going to work as he is just suggesting me to hit the "Firefox button" and then hit "exit" which just closes the browser. Click reply just takes me to the reply box without any text copied over. Is there a bug or was it meant to do this?

What I am saying is that when I hit reply on the threads on the support forum the text is not copied over to the reply box. It works well here on the contributors forum. What Jay suggested is not going to work as he is just suggesting me to hit the "Firefox button" and then hit "exit" which just closes the browser. Click reply just takes me to the reply box without any text copied over. Is there a bug or was it meant to do this?
  8. Here's the bug:

• Bug 655724 - Reply link on answers in questions should quote the answer
    Here's the bug: *[https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=655724 Bug 655724] - Reply link on answers in questions should quote the answer
  9. feer56

AliceWyman said

• Bug 655724 - Reply link on answers in questions should quote the answer

I understand that to be an instruction to do a manual copy/quote - probably editing whatever is quoted. I suspect quoting replies is not to be encouraged.

Mozilla Support rules and guidelines say

For support requests, do not re-use existing threads started by others, even if they are seemingly on the same subject. 

Tip if you want it to stand out as a quote either use italic text or

preformat  by indenting the text on a new line (see)

'''feer56''' ''AliceWyman [[#post-50524|said]]'' <blockquote> .... * Bug 655724 - Reply link on answers in questions should quote the answer </blockquote> I understand that to be an instruction to do a manual copy/quote - probably editing whatever is quoted. I suspect quoting replies is not to be encouraged. [[Forum rules and guidelines]] say '' For support requests, do not re-use existing threads started by others, even if they are seemingly on the same subject. Tip if you want it to stand out as a quote either use ''italic text'' or preformat by indenting the text on a new line [[markup chart|(see)]]
  10. I'm on the fence on this one. Yeah, quoting can sometimes be useful, but more often than not it would probably be better to write an answer that can stand on its own. Including that feature would be encouraging discussions, but while that is the point of the contributor forums it's against the ethos of the support forum.

I'm on the fence on this one. Yeah, quoting can sometimes be useful, but more often than not it would probably be better to write an answer that can stand on its own. Including that feature would be encouraging discussions, but while that is the point of the contributor forums it's against the ethos of the support forum.
  11. Anybody have any other feedback / suggestions?

Anybody have any other feedback / suggestions?
  12. I tend to think normally keeping one question to one thread is a good idea.

If threads become discussions it gets confusing to know what has been asked and what has been answered. I sometimes suggest users should start their own thread, unless there is an obvious one line answer that is likely to be the solution.

IRCC there has been previous discussion on trying to merge thread and mark duplicates. I worry such a task may take contributors away from the main work of answering questions, without having much benefit.

Adding a reply button that automatically quotes the message encourages multiple questions in the thread. Contributors will easily cut and paste if required to quote something. (For instance something from a previous page of a long thread.)

Changing to a discussion forum may work but probably would necessitate a major rethink and require completely new software.

I tend to think normally keeping one question to one thread is a good idea. If threads become discussions it gets confusing to know what has been asked and what has been answered. I sometimes suggest users should start their own thread, unless there is an obvious one line answer that is likely to be the solution. IRCC there has been previous discussion on trying to merge thread and mark duplicates. I worry such a task may take contributors away from the main work of answering questions, without having much benefit. Adding a reply button that automatically quotes the message encourages multiple questions in the thread. Contributors will easily cut and paste if required to quote something. (For instance something from a previous page of a long thread.) Changing to a discussion forum may work but probably would necessitate a major rethink and require completely new software.
  13. Quoting may seem like a bad idea if we're quoting a huge paragraph. Is it possible for just contributors to quote? Thanks.

Quoting may seem like a bad idea if we're quoting a huge paragraph. Is it possible for just contributors to quote? Thanks.
  14. How about putting a down arrow beside "Post a Reply" which reveals a drop-down menu/buttons, one of them being "Reply with quote"?

How about putting a down arrow beside "Post a Reply" which reveals a drop-down menu/buttons, one of them being "Reply with quote"?
  15. We could do that, but again the question is: Do we really want to encourage that?

We could do that, but again the question is: Do we really want to encourage that?
  16. I don't think putting it in a drop down menu (where clicking on "Post a Reply", not the arrow, does not quote) is encouraging it.

I don't think putting it in a drop down menu (where clicking on "Post a Reply", not the arrow, does not quote) is encouraging it.
  17. Another option is to make it so that it puts in the name you are replying to. I have seen some who responded "who are you replying to" even though the reply was to the above post.

Another option is to make it so that it puts in the name you are replying to. I have seen some who responded "who are you replying to" even though the reply was to the above post.
  18. What I am thinking is quoting to be allowed to be used by contributors only and not regular users.

What I am thinking is quoting to be allowed to be used by contributors only and not regular users.