In recent weeks, calls with audio have become buggy in Firefox. Whenever I engage in a call that accesses the microphone while I have a bluetooth headset connected, the h… (read more)
In recent weeks, calls with audio have become buggy in Firefox. Whenever I engage in a call that accesses the microphone while I have a bluetooth headset connected, the headset starts continuously toggling call mode on and off for an extended duration. This can be anywhere from 10 seconds/3ish toggles to never-ending (meaning I got tired of waiting after about 3 minutes/55ish toggles).
Today I finally decided to debug further. Here are my findings:
- Problem only exists in Firefox. I tested with Safari, Chromium, Slack and Discord, with no trouble presenting itself in any of them
- Problem relates to all bluetooth headsets. I have tested with Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless and Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless, with both exhibiting the problem in Bluetooth mode. If I have no bluetooth headsets connected, the problem does not present itself. There is also no problem if I connect the Arctis using the wireless base station (which in turn is connected to the laptop by USB) instead of bluetooth. Using the base station, call and non-call are exposed to my mac as different/simultaneous channels — this may have something to do with it.
- Problem persists with hardware acceleration toggled off
- Problem persists in safe mode
- Problem persists in private mode
- Problem persists both on Whereby.com and Discord.com. On Whereby, it also interferes with the camera. This leads me to believe it might have something to do with WebRTC, as I think both websites use it.
- Problem persists after reinstalling Firefox
- On a possibly related note: if I end the voice chat session after it has stabilised, call mode toggles off slowly and always sends a "start playing media" signal to my Mac, even if it didn't pause anything when toggling call mode on.
In sum, this leads me to believe there is some sort of bug in Firefox causing this, but the lack of other topics on here with the same problem makes me skeptical. I am open to any suggestions with regards to further testing I can do. This is obviously very annoying, and I would like to have bluetooth calls working again.