What is the Mozilla Maintenance Service?
- Revision id: 62819
- Creator: bugcon
- Comment: Add Win 8/8.1 instructions for removing service
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: ideato
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: ideato
Firefox now installs an optional service called the Mozilla Maintenance Service. This service allows Firefox to install updates without requiring you to click yes in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog.
How does the Mozilla Maintenance Service work?Once Firefox has downloaded an update, the Mozilla Maintenance Service gets permission from Windows to allow the update to be applied without requiring you to click yes in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog. Until that time, the service doesn't run so it doesn't use any computer resources. And once the update process begins, the service quits.
Want more technical details? Check out the Mozilla wiki.
Disabling the Mozilla Maintenance Service
If you'd like to be prompted to authorize Firefox updates, you can disable the Mozilla Maintenance Service.
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP) and then click
- Click the panel.
- Click the tab. The update options are displayed.
- Uncheck the box next to Use a background service to install updates.
- Click to close the Options window.