What is the Mozilla Maintenance Service?
- Revision id: 23323
- Creator: Underpass
- Comment: since the service has not been introduced yet, it is weird to find it "given" at the beginning of the article ;)
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: AliceWyman
- Is approved? No
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: No
Firefox now installs an optional service called the Mozilla Maintenance Service. This service allows Firefox to install updates without requiring you to click yes in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog.
How does the Mozilla Maintenance Service work?Once Firefox has downloaded an update, the Mozilla Maintenance Service gets permission from Windows to allow the update to be applied without requiring you to click yes in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog. Until that time, the service doesn't run so it doesn't use any computer resources. And once the update process begins, the service quits.
Want more technical details? Check out the Mozilla wiki.
Disabling the Mozilla Maintenance Service
If you'd like to be prompted to authorize Firefox updates, you can disable the Mozilla Maintenance Service.
- Click the menu button and choose . . .
- Click the panel.
- Click the tab. The update options are displayed.
- Uncheck the box next to Use a background service to install updates.
- Click to close the Options window.