Using Lightning with Google Calendar
This article describes how to use Google calendars together with Lightning. You can use Google calendars in two ways. You can have read-only access to public calendars or you can use a bi-directional calendar, with both read and write-access.
If you only need read-access to a Google calendar, you can use the link of the public ICS file which is provided by Google, as indicated on this Google Help article: View from other applications
Read and write access
Downloading Provider for Google Calendar
If you need both read and write access to your calendar, you need to install the Provider for Google Calendar from addons.mozilla.org.
- Open the Provider for Google Calendar addon website.
- Download the file by right-clicking on the Download now link and choosing .
Installing and configuring the add-on
- To install the add-on, select the menu from the Thunderbird menu bar and click the menu item.
- In the Add-ons window, click the button and select to the downloaded file. Click the button to install the extension.
Getting an XML link to your calendar
To access your calendar data, you need to retrieve your private XML URL from the Google Calendar UI. Follow these steps:
- Open your Google Calendar by going to the Google calendar website.
- Select from the top and choose .
- Select the link at the top of the settings page. A list of Google calendars is displayed.
- Click on the Calendar you would like to use in Lightning.
- On the page of your calendar, scroll down until you see Calendar address and Private address.
- Right-click the button of one of the two options and select .
Note that the provider does not directly use your private url. The Calendar is still accessible when you reset your private url. You may now use this url as the Location in the new remote calendar wizard.
The private link will look something like: http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/username%40gmail.com/private-1ba218e6a25bfc32b25a4eb3f9ee6d96/basic. Be sure not to use the ics-link but the XML-link!
Importing the calendar into Lightning
To import the calendar into Lightning, please follow these steps:
- Go to the menu at the top of the Thunderbird window and select . From the sub menu select .
- Once the wizard opened, select from the available options and click .
- Choose Google Calendar from the available types of calendars and paste or enter the URL to your calendar. Click .
- In this pane, you can select a name and a colour for the Google Calendar. Click to continue.
- Now, a popup appears in which you have to enter your GMail username (with or without the @gmail.com part) and password and choose wether you want Lightning to save your password. Once you click , Lightning creates the calendar and provides you with two-way access to the google-calendar.
There's still some limitations with using the google-calendar, please see the GData provider page on wiki.mozilla.org.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/1BsOAbb