Re-enable add-ons that were disabled when updating Firefox
- Revision id: 15209
- Creator: Michael Verdi
- Comment: Saving work in progress
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
When Firefox updates it turns off add-ons that are not compatible with the new version. This article explains how to get your add-ons working again.
Table of Contents
- 1 Check for add-on updates during the Firefox update
- 2 Force add-ons to work by installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter
- 3 Update the add-on after the upgrade
- 4 Search for updates or fixes from the add-on developer
- 5 Search for alternatives
Check for add-on updates during the Firefox update
When Firefox turns off incompatible add-ons during its update it also offers to check for new versions of your add-ons and install them.
- In the dialog box, click the button. If a new version of the add-on is available, it will be displayed.
- Click the button. The add-on will be downloaded and installed.
- Click the button to start Firefox.
Force add-ons to work by installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter
The Add-on Compatibility Reporter add-on will force Firefox to turn on your disabled add-ons. Some add-ons will work just fine this way but you may find that others don't work or cause Firefox to crash. To install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, do the following:
- Go to Add-on Compatibility Reporter download page.
- Click the button.
- When the Software Installation window comes up, click to begin the download.
- When the download is complete, click in the notification window to complete the installation.
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
Click the Firefox menu , then click .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen, then click .Click the Firefox menu , then click .
- Start Firefox the way you normally do and all of your add-ons should now be active.
Report whether or not your add-ons work with this version of Firefox
We'll pass this info on to the companies that make these add-ons.
- Click the menu button , click and select .
- Click the button for each add-on and report whether it works on not.
Update the add-on after the upgrade
By default, Firefox continually checks for new versions of extensions and appearances and, if it finds any, updates them automatically. However, you can always manually check to see if there are new versions of any add-ons that were turned off.
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP), and then click On the menu bar, click on the menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons Manager tab will open. menu, and then click
- Click and select . If Firefox finds updates, the panel will appear.
- Select the panel.
- Click either the button to update only the selected add-on, or the button to update all extensions and appearances. The add-on(s) will be downloaded.
- Click the "Restart now" link to install updates.
A new version of the add-on that is compatible with your version of Firefox may have been released after you upgraded Firefox. To check manually for updates, do the following:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu, and select On the menu bar, click on the menu, and select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons window will open. menu, and select
- Select the or panel depending on the kind of add-on.
- Then click . If Firefox finds an update, you will be prompted to install it and restart Firefox.
Search for updates or fixes from the add-on developer
Some add-on developers have different versions of their add-on for different Firefox versions so automatic updating does not work.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, click on More on the incompatible extension, and then click on the home page link, close to Homepage. You will be taken to the home page for that add-on.
- Download the latest version of the add-on from the add-on home page.
- In the Add-ons window, right-clickhold down the Ctrl key while you click on the incompatible extension, and select . You will be taken to the home page for that add-on.
- Download the latest version of the add-on from the home page for that add-on.
Search for alternatives
Similar behavior or functionality may be provided by another add-on which is compatible with your version of Firefox. The Add-ons site is a good place to start searching for similar or alternative extensions.