This article describes how to uninstall an extension or theme that can't be removed by following the instructions in How to uninstall add-ons.
Note: Extensions installed due to an enterprise policy can be removed manually as described in this document, but they will be automatically reinstalled during the next Thunderbird start. In this case contact your IT department to learn more about applied enterprise policies.
Uninstalling add-ons from Thunderbird Safe Mode
If you can't access the add-on manager or if the option to remove a certain add-on is disabled, you may need to uninstall it from Thunderbird Safe Mode.
- Click the menu button , click and select .
- In the Thunderbird Safe Mode dialog, click .
Once Thunderbird has started in Safe Mode, try removing the add-on again and then restarting Thunderbird.
Uninstalling add-ons manually
Navigate to the folder where extensions are installed and delete the extension:
- Click the menu button , click and select . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
- Under the Application Basics section next to Profile Folder, click A window will open that contains your profile folder.Your profile folder will open. .
- Open the extensions folder inside your profile folder. Inside the extensions folder there are folders or XPI files for each extension and theme that you have installed.
- To determine which folder or XPI file corresponds to the extension you want to uninstall, return to Thunderbird and the tab.
- In the Extensions section, find the extension you want to remove and note the string in the ID column.
- Click the menu button and select to close Thunderbird.
- Delete the folder or XPI file that corresponds to the extension ID you noted above.