How to stay safe on the web
- Revision id: 37430
- Creator: Jan.
- Comment: see also links
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
- Keep all of your software and operating system up-to-date
Software updates contain vulnerability patches.
- There are a lot of Firefox extensions that may help you to improve some parts of your privacy and security.
- You may also be interested by security options available in Firefox. For more details, see Security and passwords settings.
- If you are aware of your privacy and security, here are some handy tips:
- Remember that YOU decide what information about yourself to reveal, when, why, and to whom: don't give out personally-identifiable information too easily; set your privacy settings in your social networking account; beware sites that offer some sort of reward or prize in exchange for your contact information or other personal details.
- Keep a "clean" e-mail address: use some pseudonymous or simply alternate address, and keep your main or preferred address only on small, members-only lists and with known, trusted individuals.
- Do not reply to spammers, for any reason.
- Realize you may be monitored at work: avoid sending highly personal e-mail to mailing lists, and keep sensitive files on your home computer.
- Be conscious of home computer security: Turn off your computer when you are not using your Internet connexion; secure your Wi-Fi network with a strong encryption (WPA or WPA2) ; use a firewall.