Fix "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional" error message
- Revision id: 9128
- Creator: Verdi
- Comment: New version with profileFolder template instead of long list of instructions
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Do you see this error message when you start Firefox?
That happens when the file (named places.sqlite) that stores your bookmarks and browsing history can’t be accessed by Firefox. This article covers two possible solutions.
If you don't see the error above, then you should try one of these articles instead:
- Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading
- Recover lost or missing Bookmarks
- Can't add, change or save bookmarks - How to fix
- Navigation buttons like back, home, bookmarks and reload are missing
Table of Contents
Solution 1: Restart your computer
The most common causes of this error are another program using the file or a problem with the file that was caused when the computer was shut off unexpectedly (like a power failure). The good news is that most of the time, simply restarting your computer and then restarting Firefox is the fix for both problems.
Solution 2: Create a new places database
If restarting your computer doesn’t take care of things, you can fix this by making Firefox create a new places database for you. Don’t worry, it’s not as hard as it sounds.
Part 1 – Open your profile folder
Open your profile folder:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button, go over to the menuOn the menu bar, click on the menuAt the top of the Firefox window, click on the and select menu . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.Click the menu button , click help and select . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
Part 2 – Create the database
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button and then select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and then select On the menu bar, click on the menu and select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . menu and selectFirefox will quit.
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
- In the Firefox profile folder, find and rename the files places.sqlite and places.sqlite-journal (if it exists).
- To rename a file, right-click on it and select rename from the menuclick on it once to select it and then click a second time on the file name to make it editable. Then add .old to the end of it’s name.
- Finally, reopen Firefox.
- When Firefox reopens it will create a new places database. Your browsing history will be lost but Firefox will automatically import your bookmarks from the most recent backup file.
- If your bookmarks weren’t restored after creating a new places database, try the Recover lost or missing Bookmarks article.
Help! This didn’t fix the problem.
This problem has symptoms that are similar to a number of other problems. Maybe one of these articles better describes your problem.