Knowledge Base discussions

Dropping support for Fx 9 and lower

1. All versions of Firefox ≤4.0.1 only make up 2.6% of SUMO traffic combined. I think it's time to remove support for 3.6 and 4 from SUMO articles as they get updated. There's no need to remove 3.6 or 4 content from an article just for the sake of removing it.

I'm also filing a bug to drop the 3.5-3.6 from the Help With selector. This will only remove it as choice in the selector. If an article still has 3.6 content and the user has a 3.6 browser they will still see 3.6 instructions.

For context, in the past we've dropped support for Fx versions as they've dropped below 2-3% of SUMO traffic. For comparison, Chrome accounts for 3.9%, IE 3.7% and Safari 2% of SUMO traffic.

All versions of Firefox ≤4.0.1 only make up 2.6% of SUMO traffic combined. I think it's time to remove support for 3.6 and 4 from SUMO articles as they get updated. There's no need to remove 3.6 or 4 content from an article just for the sake of removing it. [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=764821 I'm also filing a bug to drop the 3.5-3.6 from the Help With selector.] This will only remove it as choice in the selector. If an article still has 3.6 content and the user has a 3.6 browser they will still see 3.6 instructions. For context, in the past we've dropped support for Fx versions as they've dropped below 2-3% of SUMO traffic. For comparison, Chrome accounts for 3.9%, IE 3.7% and Safari 2% of SUMO traffic.

Modified by Michael Verdi on

2. should we localize Fx 3.6 article/fx 3.6 section ?

should we localize Fx 3.6 article/fx 3.6 section ?
  3. Swarnava said

should we localize Fx 3.6 article/fx 3.6 section ?

This is good question and I'm not sure what the best answer is. If you translate an English article that still has 3.6 info in it, you can certainly skip that stuff. I'm not sure what that means for how complicated it will make reading diffs and making future updates. Sadly, being a one-language guy makes it difficult to picture what that would look like.

''Swarnava [[#post-47232|said]]'' <blockquote> should we localize Fx 3.6 article/fx 3.6 section ? </blockquote> This is good question and I'm not sure what the best answer is. If you translate an English article that still has 3.6 info in it, you can certainly skip that stuff. I'm not sure what that means for how complicated it will make reading diffs and making future updates. Sadly, being a one-language guy makes it difficult to picture what that would look like.
  4. I think it doesnot make any sense to leave the 3.6 section in English within whole localized article and its will not be more difficult to translate the little things within the whole article :)

I think it doesnot make any sense to leave the 3.6 section in English within whole localized article and its will not be more difficult to translate the little things within the whole article :)
  5. I just updated the title of the thread to reflect this note - as we update articles for Fx 15, we can also remove Fx 5 and 6 specific information. Firefox 6 and lower are now down to about 3% of SUMO visits.

I just updated the title of the thread to reflect this note - as we update articles for Fx 15, we can also remove Fx 5 and 6 specific information. Firefox 6 and lower are now down to about 3% of SUMO visits.
  6. I just updated latest version if my Firefox shutdown suddenly i lost addon and history...

I just updated latest version if my Firefox shutdown suddenly i lost addon and history...
  7. Hi edollarearn, Please ask your question again here, https://support.mozilla.org/questions/new so that we can better help you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi edollarearn, Please ask your question again here, https://support.mozilla.org/questions/new so that we can better help you. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  8. We can drop support for Firefox 9 and lower from our articles. We shouldn't edit articles just for this purpose. We can do this as we update articles for other reasons.

We can drop support for Firefox 9 and lower from our articles. We shouldn't edit articles just for this purpose. We can do this as we update articles for other reasons.
  9. Just wondering. Does this sticky need up dating ?

Presumably as ESR is now Firefox 17 we will be dropping support for Firefox 16 and earlier, if not also other versions.

Just wondering. Does this sticky need up dating ? Presumably as ESR is now Firefox 17 we will be dropping support for Firefox 16 and earlier, if not also other versions.

Modified by John99 on

10. as most of the questions are related to the recent versions of firefox19 and firefox 20 . Can we drop the support from ff16 and earlier as John99 said rather than dropping support from ff9 and earlier?

as most of the questions are related to the recent versions of firefox19 and firefox 20 . Can we drop the support from ff16 and earlier as John99 said rather than dropping support from ff9 and earlier?
  11. amitshree said

as most of the questions are related to the recent versions of firefox19 and firefox 20 . Can we drop the support from ff16 and earlier as John99 said rather than dropping support from ff9 and earlier?

This is an very old thread so there may be a possibility.

''amitshree [[#post-52078|said]]'' <blockquote> as most of the questions are related to the recent versions of firefox19 and firefox 20 . Can we drop the support from ff16 and earlier as John99 said rather than dropping support from ff9 and earlier? </blockquote> This is an very old thread so there may be a possibility.
  12. If it is a sticky it should; in my opinion; be kept up to date, or un-stickied, but I am not going to unsticky a KB thread posted by Michael.

If it is a sticky it should; in my opinion; be kept up to date, or un-stickied, but I am not going to unsticky a KB thread posted by Michael.
  13. We drop support in articles based on how many visits we get. For example, in the past we dropped support for everything below Firefox 9 because all visits from Firefox versions 1 - 9 made up less than 3% of our traffic.

Since that time things have changed. The amount of traffic from some older browsers has actually gone up as places like Facebook prompt people to update. Now we have support for these people (Firefox 3.6 users) not in showfor steps but in articles specifically targeted to them like:

Since I originally posted this thread we've changed web analytics providers and I have to generate a new report. Leaving support for Firefox 10+ doesn't really cost us much (or anything) so this task hasn't made it to the top of my to-do list in recent weeks.

Update without bumping thread unnecessarily. See also my question

~J99

We drop support in articles based on how many visits we get. For example, in the past we dropped support for everything below Firefox 9 because all visits from Firefox versions 1 - 9 made up less than 3% of our traffic. Since that time things have changed. The amount of traffic from ''some'' older browsers has actually gone up as places like Facebook prompt people to update. Now we have support for these people (Firefox 3.6 users) not in showfor steps but in articles specifically targeted to them like: *[[Firefox 3.6 is no longer supported]] *[[Common questions after upgrading from Firefox 3.6]] Since I originally posted this thread we've changed web analytics providers and I have to generate a new report. Leaving support for Firefox 10+ doesn't really cost us much (or anything) so this task hasn't made it to the top of my to-do list in recent weeks. ---------- Update without bumping thread unnecessarily. See also my question * X-LINK [/forums/knowledge-base-articles/711388] ''Support before current ESR not needed ? ( Article's {for} & L10N )'' ~J99

Modified by John99 on