Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

suddenly can't retrieve ATT Yahoo emails with Thunderbird after trying every suggestion

drleo

Using Thunderbird 115.18.0esr Supernova 64-bit on Mac laptop OS 10.13.6. Worked fine for years, with ongoing Thunderbird updates, even though Mac OS is 32-bit. Suddenly, after 10/6/26 can't retrieve emails although I can see them on the ATT Yahoo server website. Can still send emails with Thunderbird. Inbound server settings are: POP server inbound.att.net, Port 995, SSL/TLS, Normal Password (I long ago created a Secure Mail Key, and even tried creating a new one). But inbound server name doesn't show in Saved Passwords (only outbound server with Secure Mail Key as password)? I have tried everything suggested, repaired my inbox folder, updated Thunderbird files, etc. in Profile as recommended. But still no prompt for password when attempting to get messages. Just shows "Done" at bottom left with no new messages received. But new messages are seen on server website. So it appears that Thunderbird isn't able to connect to the ATT Yahoo server to get emails. Why? And what else can I do? I love Thunderbird and want to continue using it.

Using Thunderbird 115.18.0esr Supernova 64-bit on Mac laptop OS 10.13.6. Worked fine for years, with ongoing Thunderbird updates, even though Mac OS is 32-bit. Suddenly, after 10/6/26 can't retrieve emails although I can see them on the ATT Yahoo server website. Can still send emails with Thunderbird. Inbound server settings are: POP server inbound.att.net, Port 995, SSL/TLS, Normal Password (I long ago created a Secure Mail Key, and even tried creating a new one). But inbound server name doesn't show in Saved Passwords (only outbound server with Secure Mail Key as password)? I have tried everything suggested, repaired my inbox folder, updated Thunderbird files, etc. in Profile as recommended. But still no prompt for password when attempting to get messages. Just shows "Done" at bottom left with no new messages received. But new messages are seen on server website. So it appears that Thunderbird isn't able to connect to the ATT Yahoo server to get emails. Why? And what else can I do? I love Thunderbird and want to continue using it.

All Replies (5)

It appears the problem was that AT&T revoked a certificate and didn't replace it until the next day. Things should be back to normal very soon.

Ed, Thank you so much for your prompt reply! It is much appreciated. Thunderbird which has been able to send emails, was suddenly able to download new emails but would no longer shortly thereafter. I have now gone to the ATT web server (where I can still see new emails) and created a new Secure Mail Key. Now Thunderbird will not even send emails requesting a new password, and not accepting the newly created Secure Mail Key. Not sure what to do next. I am not optimistic that going to the ATT store will be of much use, but I am desperate. Perhaps ATT has made some change to my ID which I would need to enter into Thunderbird for the ATT servers to recognize my account.

Try contacting their support, FWIW.

drleo said

Perhaps ATT has made some change to my ID which I would need to enter into Thunderbird for the ATT servers to recognize my account.

Unlikely

Wayne, Thanks so much for your reply, to which I agree it was unlikely that ATT would suddenly make some change to my profile. My iPhone is no longer able to get messages either!!! I went to the ATT store today they weren't able to help ("beyond my pay grade"). They suggestsed going to Apple which I did even though I didn't suspect it had anything to do with them. I did have a brief discussion with staff who weren't sure why I was suddenly having any issues. They did offer to set up an appointment at their Genius Bar which I may do, but again suspecting Apple had nothing to do with it. It's either a Thunderbird issue where the log-in etc info isn't matching with the ATT email profile or the ATT email profile is somehow messed up (i.e. is it drleo or drleo@att.net? . I have tried every possible combination. I have the correct inbound and outbound servers, SSL/TLS, Authenication Normal PW (as instructed for when using a Secure Mail Key (I have repeatedly created a new Secure Mail Key) and at least the outbound Secure Mail Key does show correctly in Saved PW, but still can't send outbound messages (log in fails). My username is full email address.

Buza umbuzo

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.