SUMO community discussions

Re-organizing Bookmarks documentation

1. One of our tasks for improving the customer satisfaction score for the knowledge base is to look at the article comments on articles that appear for more generic searches, to find any questions that are not addressed in the KB.

Bookmarks is always among our top searches, and there are a lot of articles related to bookmarks. When looking at the article comments for those articles, I noticed that many of them ask about topics that are already in the KB e.g.

• "How do I sort bookmarks"
    • "How do I delete a bookmark"
    • "How do I create a bookmark folder"

Those things are covered in two pretty generic articles: Bookmarks in Firefox and Bookmarks in Firefox. I think it may be better to split up the Bookmarks documentation by each task. What do you thnk?

One of our tasks for [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Support/Knowledge_Base/2009-Q3-Goals improving the customer satisfaction score for the knowledge base] is to look at the article comments on articles that appear for more generic searches, to find any questions that are not addressed in the KB. Bookmarks is always among our top searches, and there are a lot of articles related to bookmarks. When looking at the article comments for those articles, I noticed that many of them ask about topics that are already in the KB e.g. * "How do I sort bookmarks" * "How do I delete a bookmark" * "How do I create a bookmark folder" Those things are covered in two pretty generic articles: [[Bookmarks]] and [[Organizing Bookmarks]]. I think it may be better to split up the Bookmarks documentation by each task. What do you thnk?

Modified by Chris Ilias on

2. "How do I sort bookmarks" is under the Sorting bookmarks section. "How do I delete a bookmark" is covered under the "Deleting bookmarks" section. "How do I create a bookmark folder" is in the "Re-arranging bookmarks" section but it is pretty much hidden under two sections, "Re-arranging using the Bookmarks sidebar" and "Re-arranging using the Library window". It does deserve a separate section in that article. EDIT: I've updated the article to add a section, "Creating a new bookmark folder".

• Bookmarks in Firefox is a basic overview for using bookmarks which includes a detailed "How to bookmark a page" section. That's a "task" that I don't think should be split off into a separate article . It also includes a "Where to find bookmarks" section explaining the different ways to view your bookmarks and a "Troubleshooting" section with links to other articles.

I don't see any real advantage in splitting up the two articles you mentioned into smaller articles based on task. Another option is to create redirects for the various bookmark tasks that will show up in the search results. For example, you could create an article named "How do I sort bookmarks" that redirects to the Organizing bookmarks article.

In case it helps, here is how SeaMonkey 2 organizes information in its Help Contents, ...under Bookmarks

*     What Are Bookmarks?
       *     Using Bookmarks
       *     Creating New Bookmarks
       *     Organizing Your Bookmarks  (---includes rearranging, sorting, and deleting bookmarks)
       *     Changing Individual Bookmarks
       *     Searching Your Bookmarks
       *     Exporting or Importing a Bookmark List

*'''[[Organizing bookmarks]]''' covers the three tasks you mentioned. ''"How do I sort bookmarks"'' is under the Sorting bookmarks section. ''"How do I delete a bookmark" '' is covered under the "Deleting bookmarks" section. ''"How do I create a bookmark folder"'' is in the "Re-arranging bookmarks" section but it is pretty much hidden under two sections, "Re-arranging using the Bookmarks sidebar" and "Re-arranging using the Library window". It does deserve a separate section in that article. '''''EDIT: I've updated the article to add a section, "Creating a new bookmark folder". ''''' *'''[[Bookmarks]]''' is a basic overview for using bookmarks which includes a detailed "How to bookmark a page" section. That's a "task" that I don't think should be split off into a separate article . It also includes a "Where to find bookmarks" section explaining the different ways to view your bookmarks and a "Troubleshooting" section with links to other articles. I don't see any real advantage in splitting up the two articles you mentioned into smaller articles based on task. Another option is to create redirects for the various bookmark tasks that will show up in the search results. For example, you could create an article named "How do I sort bookmarks" that redirects to the [[Organizing bookmarks]] article. In case it helps, here is how SeaMonkey 2 organizes information in its Help Contents, ...under '''Bookmarks ''' * What Are Bookmarks? * Using Bookmarks * Creating New Bookmarks * Organizing Your Bookmarks '' (---includes rearranging, sorting, and deleting bookmarks)'' * Changing Individual Bookmarks * Searching Your Bookmarks * Exporting or Importing a Bookmark List

Modified by AliceWyman on

3. I'm all for simplifying the bookmarks articles. I wrote Organizing Bookmarks to split it off what we had stuffed into the main Bookmarks article originally, but it would be good to have a smaller articles.

The "new folder" thing still isn't being understood, judging from the comments. In two separate places it explains it, before Alice's edits, and now there's a section and it's still problematic. What are we missing?

I'm all for simplifying the bookmarks articles. I wrote Organizing Bookmarks to split it off what we had stuffed into the main Bookmarks article originally, but it would be good to have a smaller articles. The "new folder" thing still isn't being understood, judging from the comments. In two separate places it explains it, before Alice's edits, and now there's a section and it's still problematic. What are we missing?
  4. I think simplifying and making articles more focused on specific tasks is a good idea that is also a general recommendation and practice at other support sites. This would also give us a better idea of what people actually search for when typing "bookmarks" in the search box. Currently, we don't really know.

Concise, focused articles is always a good thing.

I think simplifying and making articles more focused on specific tasks is a good idea that is also a general recommendation and practice at other support sites. This would also give us a better idea of what people actually search for when typing "bookmarks" in the search box. Currently, we don't really know. Concise, focused articles is always a good thing.

Modified by AnonymousUser on

5. Do you really want 20 different articles about using and organizing bookmarks that cover all the possible bookmark tasks, each with its own set of screenshots and instructions for accessing or working with the Library window, Bookmarks Toolbar or Bookmarks Sidebar? That may or may not make it easier for someone searching for a specific answer ("How do I create a new bookmark folder?") but it will make it harder for others who just want to learn about bookmarks in general.

For one thing, browsing through a single article with related subsections is easier than going back and forth among separate articles. Having multiple articles that cover different but related tasks would make it harder for someone looking for an overview of how Bookmarks work to browse through them all. It would also be more work updating when a new version of Firefox comes out, if you had to updae multiple sets of instructions and screenshots (although someone with permission to create new content blocks could take care of it that way).

If you do go ahead and split up the two basic articles (or other bookmarks articles) into many smaller articles based on task, I think you should keep the Bookmarks in Firefox article but turn it into a "Table of contents" or overview article that organizes the available information and links to all the other bookmarks articles. That way, people who just want to learn more about using and organizing their bookmarks have a better place to start than by going through pages of search results for "Bookmarks".

Too bad there is no longer "Help Contents" in Firefox 3 with a real and organized table of contents, like there was in Firefox 2 and still is in SeaMonkey (see the attached screenshot). I find it incredibly useful to be able to browse and search Help topics all in one place.

P.S. Here is a list of current KB articles in the order I found them using the "Search the Knowledge Base" tool and searching on "Bookmarks", just to see what we are working with:

Page 1 Recover lost or missing Bookmarks Bookmarks in Firefox Bookmarks in Firefox Can't add, change or save bookmarks - How to fix Live Bookmarks - Subscribe to a web page for news and updates Export bookmarks to Opera Import Bookmarks from an HTML file Importing bookmarks and other data from Netscape Fix "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional" error message Import bookmarks and other data from Google Chrome

Page 2 Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks Import data from another browser Firefox 3 upgrade switches bookmarks and other settings to older version Using the same bookmarks and settings on multiple computers Restore the default Smart Bookmarks Folders Moving your Firefox bookmarks and settings Exporting data to SeaMonkey Export bookmarks to Internet Explorer Export bookmarks to Safari Importing bookmarks and other data from Safari

Page 3 Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading Reloading Live Bookmarks Importing bookmarks and other data from Flock Importing bookmarks and other data from Mozilla Application Suite Importing bookmarks and other data from Opera Profiles - Where Firefox stores your bookmarks, passwords and other user data Hiding bookmarks in the Smart Location Bar Smart Bookmarks folders Import Internet Explorer Favorites from another computer Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find

Page 4 Importing bookmarks and other data from SeaMonkey Cannot clear Location bar history Favicons do not display Recovering important data from an old profile

(The rest of the KB articles listed only marginally deal with bookmarks. Forum results with Bookmarks in the summary start on Page 5.)

Do you really want 20 different articles about using and organizing bookmarks that cover all the possible bookmark tasks, each with its own set of screenshots and instructions for accessing or working with the Library window, Bookmarks Toolbar or Bookmarks Sidebar? That may or may not make it easier for someone searching for a specific answer ("How do I create a new bookmark folder?") but it will make it harder for others who just want to learn about bookmarks in general. For one thing, browsing through a single article with related subsections is easier than going back and forth among separate articles. Having multiple articles that cover different but related tasks would make it harder for someone looking for an overview of how Bookmarks work to browse through them all. It would also be more work updating when a new version of Firefox comes out, if you had to updae multiple sets of instructions and screenshots (although someone with permission to create new content blocks could take care of it that way). If you do go ahead and split up the two basic articles (or other bookmarks articles) into many smaller articles based on task, I think you should keep the [[Bookmarks]] article but turn it into a "Table of contents" or overview article that organizes the available information and links to all the other bookmarks articles. That way, people who just want to learn more about using and organizing their bookmarks have a better place to start than by going through pages of [https://support.mozilla.com/tiki-newsearch.php?q=Bookmarks search results for "Bookmarks"]. Too bad there is no longer "Help Contents" in Firefox 3 with a <u> real</u> and organized table of contents, like there was in Firefox 2 and still is in SeaMonkey (see the attached screenshot). I find it incredibly useful to be able to browse and search Help topics all in one place. P.S. Here is a list of current KB articles in the order I found them using the "Search the Knowledge Base" tool and searching on "Bookmarks", just to see what we are working with: Page 1 [[Lost Bookmarks]] [[Organizing Bookmarks]] [[Bookmarks]] [[Bookmarks not saved]] [[Live Bookmarks]] [[Exporting bookmarks to Opera]] [[Importing Bookmarks from an HTML File]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Netscape]] [[The bookmarks and history system will not be functional]] [[Importing bookmarks from Google Chrome]] Page 2 [[Exporting bookmarks to an HTML file]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from other browsers]] [[Firefox 3 upgrade switches bookmarks and other settings to older version]] [[Using the same bookmarks and settings on multiple computers]] [[Restore the default Smart Bookmarks Folders]] [[Moving your Firefox bookmarks and settings]] [[Exporting data to SeaMonkey]] [[Exporting data to Internet Explorer]] [[Exporting data to Safari]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Safari]] Page 3 [[Bookmarks and toolbar buttons not working after upgrading]] [[Reloading Live Bookmarks]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Flock]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Mozilla Application Suite]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Opera]] [[Profiles]] [[Hiding bookmarks in the Smart Location Bar]] [[Smart Bookmarks folders]] [[Importing Internet Explorer Favorites from another computer]] [[Bookmark Tags]] Page 4 [[Importing bookmarks and other data from SeaMonkey]] [[Cannot clear Location bar history]] [[Favicons do not display]] [[Recovering important data from an old profile]] (The rest of the KB articles listed only marginally deal with bookmarks. Forum results with Bookmarks in the summary start on Page 5.)

6. (from Bo) The "new folder" thing still isn't being understood, judging from the comments. In two separate places it explains it, before Alice's edits, and now there's a section and it's still problematic. What are we missing?

The only recent comment I see in the user feedback section of Organizing bookmarks related to creating a new bookmark folder is this one: Creating a new bookmarks folder directions did not work as described on my Mac 10.4.11. Using library window required specific steps, and "organize icon" is not clear. Never did succeed in creating a new folder using sidebar.

Could someone else review #Creating a new bookmark folder and see how it could be improved?

(from Bo) ''The "new folder" thing still isn't being understood, judging from the comments. In two separate places it explains it, before Alice's edits, and now there's a section and it's still problematic. What are we missing?'' The only recent comment I see in the user feedback section of [[Organizing bookmarks]] related to creating a new bookmark folder is this one: ''Creating a new bookmarks folder directions did not work as described on my Mac 10.4.11. Using library window required specific steps, and "organize icon" is not clear. Never did succeed in creating a new folder using sidebar. '' Could someone else review [[Organizing bookmarks|#Creating a new bookmark folder]] and see how it could be improved?

7. I think a good start would be to identify the different topics that would warrant an article of its own. If it really means splitting one article up into 20, I too am skeptical about it, but I don't think it would amount to that many topics.

Might be topics like:

• How do I add a bookmark? (using the star in the location bar, Ctrl+D, help menu, etc)
    • How do I change a bookmark? (renaming, moving, etc)
    • Organizing bookmarks (Library window, etc)
    • Using bookmark keywords
    • Using tags

I also agree that it would make sense to somehow still glue them all together with a "parent" article linking to the individual topics, similar to how we do with the Options window article.

I think a good start would be to identify the different topics that would warrant an article of its own. If it really means splitting one article up into 20, I too am skeptical about it, but I don't think it would amount to that many topics. Might be topics like: * How do I add a bookmark? (using the star in the location bar, Ctrl+D, help menu, etc) * How do I change a bookmark? (renaming, moving, etc) * Organizing bookmarks (Library window, etc) * Using bookmark keywords * Using tags I also agree that it would make sense to somehow still glue them all together with a "parent" article linking to the individual topics, similar to how we do with the Options window article.

Modified by AnonymousUser on

8. To place in the context of existing documentation, here are the bookmarks articles I've found that explain how to perform various tasks (excluding those that are strictly troubleshooting):

The two "generic" articles, Bookmarks in Firefox -what they are, where to find, how to create new bookmarks six different ways Organizing bookmarks - how to change a bookmark, sort, rearrange, create folder, delete in Library, Sidebar, Toolbar

Plus this troubleshooting article section: #Restoring bookmark backups|Lost bookmarks - Restoring bookmark backups - how to to restore a bookmark backup file (useful to reverse a bookmark change)

Plus, Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find Smart Bookmarks folders Restore the default Smart Bookmarks Folders Hiding bookmarks in the Smart Location Bar Moving your Firefox bookmarks and settings Using the same bookmarks and settings on multiple computers

Plus these articles on importing bookmarks: Import Bookmarks from an HTML file Import Internet Explorer Favorites from another computer Import data from another browser ...which links to: Import Bookmarks and other data from Microsoft Edge Importing bookmarks and other data from Netscape Importing bookmarks and other data from Safari Importing bookmarks and other data from Flock Importing bookmarks and other data from Mozilla Application Suite Importing bookmarks and other data from Opera Importing bookmarks and other data from SeaMonkey Import bookmarks and other data from Google Chrome

Plus these articles on exporting bookmarks: Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks Export bookmarks to Opera Exporting data to SeaMonkey Export bookmarks to Internet Explorer Export bookmarks to Safari

Plus Live Bookmarks - Subscribe to a web page for news and updates and Reloading Live Bookmarks articles, if you want to count those.

To place in the context of existing documentation, here are the bookmarks articles I've found that explain how to perform various tasks (excluding those that are strictly troubleshooting): The two "generic" articles, [[Bookmarks]] ''-what they are, where to find, how to create new bookmarks six different ways '' [[Organizing bookmarks]] ''- how to change a bookmark, sort, rearrange, create folder, delete in Library, Sidebar, Toolbar'' Plus this troubleshooting article section: [[Lost bookmarks|#Restoring bookmark backups|Lost bookmarks - Restoring bookmark backups]] ''- how to to restore a bookmark backup file (useful to reverse a bookmark change)'' Plus, [[Bookmark Tags]] [[Smart Bookmarks folders]] [[Restore the default Smart Bookmarks Folders]] [[Hiding bookmarks in the Smart Location Bar]] [[Moving your Firefox bookmarks and settings]] [[Using the same bookmarks and settings on multiple computers]] Plus these articles on importing bookmarks: [[Importing Bookmarks from an HTML File]] [[Importing Internet Explorer Favorites from another computer]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from other browsers]] ...which links to: [[Importing favorites and other data from Internet Explorer]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Netscape]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Safari]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Flock]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Mozilla Application Suite]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from Opera]] [[Importing bookmarks and other data from SeaMonkey]] [[Importing bookmarks from Google Chrome]] Plus these articles on exporting bookmarks: [[Exporting bookmarks to an HTML file]] [[Exporting bookmarks to Opera]] [[Exporting data to SeaMonkey]] [[Exporting data to Internet Explorer]] [[Exporting data to Safari]] Plus [[Live Bookmarks]] and [[Reloading Live Bookmarks]] articles, if you want to count those.

9. I'm going to make sandbox articles like I did with Basicer Troubleshooting to not disrupt what's already in the KB:

I'll mention one or two ways of doing things in the general articles and then link to more specific articles. I am going to focus on the sidebar in the general articles, since it is easy to access and is functional. The Bookmarks menu slips away too easily and you can't sort; the Library window is too complicated to discuss concisely.

Here's the outlines:

Bookmarks: Summary and basic information.

• What they are
    • One way to make one (Star)
      • Link to "Creating bookmarks" for the rest
    • Where to find them
      • Sidebar
      • Bookmarks Menu: Brief mention, no screenshots.
      • Link to "Smart Location Bar: Brief description
      • Library window: Brief mention, no screenshots.
      • Link to "Bookmarks Toolbar"
    • Organizing them
      • Sort by name in the sidebar
      • Create a folder in the sidebar
      • Link to "Organizing Bookmarks" for other techniques
    • Link to "Importing bookmarks"
    • Troubleshooting
      • Links to troubleshooting articles

Creating Bookmarks: How to make bookmarks

• Star
    • Bookmarks Menu
    • Context menu
    • Drag and drop
    • Deleting bookmarks
      • In the sidebar
      • Link to "Organizing Bookmarks"

Organizing Bookmarks: Advanced organization topics

• Custom re-arrangement, including into new folders
      • Sidebar
      • Library Window
      • Toolbar
    • Automatic sorting
      • Sort by name in the Sidebar only
      • Explain Library window column headers do not persist outside Library window
    • Deleting bookmarks
      • Delete key: Sidebar and Library window
      • Context menu: Sidebar, Bookmarks menu, Library window
      • Organize menu item: Library window
    • Link to "Bookmark Tags"
    • Link to "Smart Bookmark Folders"

Bookmarks Toolbar

• Description
    • How to turn it off/on
    • How to drag other stuff to it

Importing and Exporting Bookmarks

• List of applications
    • To/ from an HTML file

Let me know what you think.

I'm going to make sandbox articles like I did with [http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Basicer+Troubleshooting Basicer Troubleshooting] to not disrupt what's already in the KB: I'll mention one or two ways of doing things in the general articles and then link to more specific articles. I am going to focus on the sidebar in the general articles, since it is easy to access and is functional. The Bookmarks menu slips away too easily and you can't sort; the Library window is too complicated to discuss concisely. Here's the outlines: '''[[Bomarks|Bookmarks]]''': Summary and basic information. * What they are * One way to make one (Star) ** Link to "Creating bookmarks" for the rest * Where to find them ** Sidebar ** Bookmarks Menu: Brief mention, no screenshots. ** Link to "Smart Location Bar: Brief description ** Library window: Brief mention, no screenshots. ** Link to "Bookmarks Toolbar" * Organizing them ** Sort by name in the sidebar ** Create a folder in the sidebar ** Link to "Organizing Bookmarks" for other techniques * Link to "Importing bookmarks" * Troubleshooting ** Links to troubleshooting articles '''[[Creating Bookmarks|Creating Bookmarks]]''': How to make bookmarks * Star * Bookmarks Menu * Context menu * Drag and drop * Deleting bookmarks ** In the sidebar ** Link to "Organizing Bookmarks" '''[[Organizing Bomarks|Organizing Bookmarks]]''': Advanced organization topics * Custom re-arrangement, including into new folders ** Sidebar ** Library Window ** Toolbar * Automatic sorting ** Sort by name in the Sidebar only ** Explain Library window column headers do not persist outside Library window * Deleting bookmarks ** Delete key: Sidebar and Library window ** Context menu: Sidebar, Bookmarks menu, Library window ** Organize menu item: Library window * Link to "Bookmark Tags" * Link to "Smart Bookmark Folders" '''[[Bookmarks Toolbar|Bookmarks Toolbar]]''' * Description * How to turn it off/on * How to drag other stuff to it '''[[Importing and Exporting Bomarks|Importing and Exporting Bookmarks]]''' * List of applications * To/ from an HTML file Let me know what you think.
  10. Having new articles on "Creating bookmarks" and on using the "Bookmarks Toolbar" is fine.

I like the idea that you are basically keeping related information together in your draft changes to the Bookmarks in Firefox and Bookmarks in Firefox articles, keeping them as an overview of basic and advanced features, but:

I would create a new "Using Bookmarks" article in place of the current Bookmarks in Firefox article. I would then change the Bookmarks in Firefox article to include a short summary and make the rest of the article a "Table of contents" for all of the bookmarks articles, as I said before, along the lines of the Firefox options, preferences and settings article (mentioned by David) which would include links to all other articles about bookmarks. In fact, I would like to see an overall "Table of contents" appear when you click the "Help Contents" link in Firefox (with collapsible sections), instead of what's there now on the Firefox Help inproduct page. I don't know how that would get done but there really should be a better system of categorizing articles. For example, MozillaZine's system automatically creates a list like this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Bookmarks. The tags seem kind of useless to me ... I get this: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-browse_freetags.php?locale=en-U...

I don't know about a new Importing and Exporting Bomarks article (right now there isn't any content except for what you wrote in your above summary. Would "To/ from an HTML file" combine the separate articles we now have? I don't think that's a good idea if we are aiming at focusing more narrowly on individual tasks. I like the idea of eliminating duplication, though. Having the different "Exporting to xx browser" articles is fine but the main task is Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks so those articles should be linked from there. I think that the Importing bookmarks from an HTML file article is fine as is, and so are the other "Importing from browser" articles but you could link to them all in a "Bookmarks" Table of Contents article under a subsection for "Importing and exporting".

I would also like to see something on "Backing up and restoring bookmarks" (besides what's in Recover lost or missing Bookmarks) to explains the differences between import/export and restore/backup, along the lines of http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_and_restoring_bookmarks_-... People seem to confuse the two. That would also give people another option for moving bookmarks to a new computer. That's a common support question that usually gets answered by saying to use the export to/import from HTML function.

P.S. Bo, Your "Bomarks" links go to articles in the Archive category. Chris wrote here that "The archive category is only available to locale leaders and approvers." Unless that's changed, other contributors won't be able to see them.

Having new articles on "Creating bookmarks" and on using the "Bookmarks Toolbar" is fine. I like the idea that you are basically keeping related information together in your draft changes to the [[Bookmarks]] and [[Organizing Bookmarks]] articles, keeping them as an overview of basic and advanced features, but: I would create a new "Using Bookmarks" article in place of the current [[Bookmarks]] article. I would then change the [[Bookmarks]] article to include a short summary and make the rest of the article a "Table of contents" for all of the bookmarks articles, as I said before, along the lines of the [[Options window]] article (mentioned by David) which would include links to all other articles about bookmarks. In fact, I would like to see an overall "Table of contents" appear when you click the "Help Contents" link in Firefox (with collapsible sections), instead of what's there now on the [[Firefox Help]] inproduct page. I don't know how that would get done but there really should be a better system of categorizing articles. For example, MozillaZine's system automatically creates a list like this: [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Bookmarks]. The tags seem kind of useless to me ... I get this: [http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-browse_freetags.php?locale=en-US&tag=bookmarks] I don't know about a new [[Importing and Exporting Bomarks]] article (right now there isn't any content except for what you wrote in your above summary. Would "To/ from an HTML file" combine the separate articles we now have? I don't think that's a good idea if we are aiming at focusing more narrowly on individual tasks. I like the idea of eliminating duplication, though. Having the different "Exporting to xx browser" articles is fine but the main task is [[Exporting bookmarks to an HTML file]] so those articles should be linked from there. I think that the [[Importing bookmarks from an HTML file]] article is fine as is, and so are the other "Importing from browser" articles but you could link to them all in a "Bookmarks" Table of Contents article under a subsection for "Importing and exporting". I would also like to see something on "Backing up and restoring bookmarks" (besides what's in [[Lost Bookmarks]]) to explains the differences between import/export and restore/backup, along the lines of [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_and_restoring_bookmarks_-_Firefox] People seem to confuse the two. That would also give people another option for moving bookmarks to a new computer. That's a common support question that usually gets answered by saying to use the export to/import from HTML function. P.S. Bo, Your "Bomarks" links go to articles in the Archive category. Chris wrote [http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=3&comments_parentId=322278 here] that "The archive category is only available to locale leaders and approvers." Unless that's changed, other contributors won't be able to see them.

11. We used to have a "Sandbox." I'll move them in a bit.

For Importing/Exporting, I need to review what the rest of the articles say. I don't want to edit them all, so if I can organize them nicely without doing that I will.

I'll see about a parent article to unify the whole bunch, too, after I fill in the outlines a bit.

We used to have a "Sandbox." I'll move them in a bit. For Importing/Exporting, I need to review what the rest of the articles say. I don't want to edit them all, so if I can organize them nicely without doing that I will. I'll see about a parent article to unify the whole bunch, too, after I fill in the outlines a bit.
  12. Bomarks, Organizing Bomarks, Bookmarks Toolbar - Display your favorite websites at the top of the Firefox window, Creating Bookmarks, and Importing and Exporting Bomarks are pretty much done now. And, for Alice Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer.

Notes:

• Please add Mac screenshots if you have access to a Mac...
    • I changed my outlines a bit, but not too much.
    • I tried to be concise as possible. Edit out extraneous bits if you see them.
    [[Bomarks]], [[Organizing Bomarks]], [[Bookmarks Toolbar]], [[Creating Bookmarks]], and [[Importing and Exporting Bomarks]] are pretty much done now. And, for Alice [[Backing up and restoring bookmarks]]. Notes: * Please add Mac screenshots if you have access to a Mac... * I changed my outlines a bit, but not too much. * I tried to be concise as possible. Edit out extraneous bits if you see them.
  13. Should I edit the base articles to do review for these? File bugs?

Should I edit the base articles to do review for these? File bugs? * Bomarks replaces [[Bookmarks]]' content * Organizing Bomarks replaces [[Organizing Bookmarks]]' content * Bomarks Toolbar is new * Creating Bomarks is new * Importing and Exporting Bomarks slightly updates [[Importing bookmarks and other data from other browsers]] * Backing up and restoring bomarks is new
  14. I don't want you to do anything that will end up being a waste of time. Let's first establish how the articles will be split, and what each will cover before drafting anything. Besides, the crash articles and articles with a csat score below 4 are higher priority than this.

I thought "Adding bookmarks" might be a better name, but I was looking at the top search terms for July, and the closest thing I could find to creating bookmarks was "save bookmarks" and "saving bookmarks". I'm not sure if those searches were by users wanting to bookmark articles.

"Delete bookmarks" and "deleting bookmarks" are common, so we should have an article specifically for that.

"Sorting bookmarks" should definitely have its own article.

I don't want you to do anything that will end up being a waste of time. Let's first establish how the articles will be split, and what each will cover before drafting anything. Besides, the crash articles and articles with a csat score below 4 are higher priority than this. I thought "Adding bookmarks" might be a better name, but I was looking at the top search terms for July, and the closest thing I could find to creating bookmarks was "save bookmarks" and "saving bookmarks". I'm not sure if those searches were by users wanting to bookmark articles. "Delete bookmarks" and "deleting bookmarks" are common, so we should have an article specifically for that. "Sorting bookmarks" should definitely have its own article.

Modified by Chris Ilias on

15. Bo,

Thanks for drafting Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer which was definitely not a waste of time. I think you should file a bug on a new KB article for "Backing up and restoring bookmarks".

I see you filed Bug 507535 - KB article: Backing up and restoring bookmarks on 7-30-2009. Thanks.

Bo, Thanks for drafting [[Backing up and restoring bookmarks]] which was definitely not a waste of time. I think you should file a bug on a new KB article for "Backing up and restoring bookmarks". '' I see you filed [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=507535 Bug 507535 - KB article: Backing up and restoring bookmarks] on 7-30-2009. Thanks''.

16. I'll file the bug for backup/restore and write up some drafts for deleting and sorting.

I think the re-writes for Bookmarks and Organizing Bookmarks are improvements over what's currently there now, whether or not it is the ideal state for the documents.

I'll file the bug for backup/restore and write up some drafts for deleting and sorting. I think the re-writes for Bookmarks and Organizing Bookmarks are improvements over what's currently there now, whether or not it is the ideal state for the documents.
  17. I'll file the bug for backup/restore

Bo, Thanks. I renamed the staging copy "Backing up and restoring bookmarks" (instead of "bomarks") since it's a new article.

''I'll file the bug for backup/restore'' '''Bo,''' Thanks. I renamed the staging copy "Backing up and restoring bookmarks" (instead of "bomarks") since it's a new article.

18. File bug 507535 for backup/restore.

Working on deleting and sorting...

File bug [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=507535 507535] for backup/restore. Working on deleting and sorting...
  19. OK, several changes.

Now each task has an article, and Organizing bookmarks can go away. Use bookmark folders to organize your bookmarks links to Smart bookmarks folders, so it's not an orphan.

Thoughts? Suggestions for other sprints like this (crash docs, I guess)?

OK, several changes. * [[Bomarks]] now is a parent article that has: ** Making new bookmarks *** With the star, description with screenshots *** Link to [[Creating bomarks|Creating bookmarks]] for more methods * Where to find bookmarks ** How to open the sidebar ** Short descriptions: *** Bookmarks menu *** [[Location bar autocomplete]], with link to [[Location bar autocomplete]] *** Library window *** Bookmarks Toolbar, with link to [[Bookmarks Toolbar|Bookmarks Toolbar]] * Managing bookmarks ** Putting bookmarks into folders, description without screenshots. ** Link to [[Bookmark folders]]. * Sorting alphabetically ** Description of how to do it with the sidebar with no screenshots ** Link to [[Sorting bookmarks]] * Deleting bookmarks ** Description of how to do it with the sidebar with no screenshots ** Link to [[Deleting bomarks|Deleting bookmarks]] * Bookmarks and other browsers ** Link to [[Importing and Exporting Bomarks|Importing and exporting bookmarks]] * Troubleshooting ** Other links Now each task has an article, and [[Organizing bomarks|Organizing bookmarks]] can go away. [[Bookmark folders]] links to [[Smart bookmarks folders]], so it's not an orphan. Thoughts? Suggestions for other [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Sprints sprints] like this (crash docs, I guess)?
  20. Now each task has an article, and Organizing bookmarks can go away.

Bo, on the proposed new articles, you may be better off filing bug reports first (like you did on the proposed new Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer article, bug 507535), then worry about tying them all into a parent Bookmarks in Firefox article later, once they've been moved to the KB: Use bookmark folders to organize your bookmarks Creating bookmarks Bookmarks Toolbar Importing and Exporting Bookmarks EDIT: also need bugs for: Sort your bookmarks to quickly find the ones you want and Deleting bookmarks

I don't know if I agree with doing away with the Organizing bookmarks article, since that leaves only the proposed new Bookmarks article to tie everything together. Why not go back to your original suggestion to keep Bookmarks in Firefox for basic tasks and as a "parent" to other bookmarks articles, and keep Organizing bookmarks focused on all the different methods for sorting or rearranging bookmarks. By the way, the related MozillaZine article for that is http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sorting_and_rearranging_bookmarks_-_... .

''Now each task has an article, and [[Organizing bookmarks]] can go away. '' Bo, on the proposed <u>new</u> articles, you may be better off filing bug reports first (like you did on the proposed new [[Backing up and restoring bookmarks]] article, [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=507535 bug 507535]), then worry about tying them all into a parent [[Bookmarks]] article later, once they've been moved to the KB: [[Bookmark folders]] [[Creating bomarks|Creating bookmarks]] [[Bookmarks Toolbar|Bookmarks Toolbar]] [[Importing and Exporting Bomarks|Importing and Exporting Bookmarks]] ''EDIT: also need bugs for: ''[[Sorting bookmarks]] and [[Deleting bomarks|Deleting bookmarks]]'' I don't know if I agree with doing away with the [[Organizing bookmarks]] article, since that leaves only the [[Bomarks|proposed new Bookmarks article]] to tie everything together. Why not go back to your original suggestion to keep [[Bookmarks]] for basic tasks and as a "parent" to other bookmarks articles, and keep [[Organizing bookmarks]] focused on all the different methods for sorting or rearranging bookmarks. By the way, the related MozillaZine article for that is [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sorting_and_rearranging_bookmarks_-_Firefox] .

1. 1
  2. 2