Importing bookmarks and other data from Safari
This article is no longer maintained, so its content might be out of date.
Firefox lets you import settings and information from Safari. This can be handy when you start using Firefox because it saves you from having to configure many things yourself.
When you run Firefox for the first time, the Import Wizard will ask if you want to import settings and information from other browsers you already have installed.
If you have already passed this step, you can still import your settings and information.
Table of Contents
Importing From Safari on a Mac
The Import Wizard
- In the menu bar, click the
menu, and select .
- Firefox can import settings and information from many other browsers. It will list browsers on your system that it can import from. Select Safari, then click
- Select the items you want to import, then click
- Preferences: Various settings, including your home page. Since Firefox and Safari have different features, Firefox won't be able to import all of your settings.
- Cookies: Small files stored on your computer by some websites that are used to keep you logged in, store your options, or do other things.
- Browsing History: Information on the sites you have visited.
- Save Form History: Text you entered in text fields on websites.
- Bookmarks: Web pages you have saved in your Safari bookmarks.
- A summary of items you have imported will be listed. Click
to close the import wizard.
Importing From Safari on Windows
The Firefox Import Wizard does not yet detect Safari on Windows systems, but you can export your bookmarks from Safari, then import them to Firefox.
Exporting from Safari
- At the top of the Safari window select the
menu, and click .
- A Save As window will appear. Select the My Documents icon, and click
You have successfully exported your bookmarks from Safari, to import them to Firefox proceed to the next section.
Importing into Firefox
Click the Bookmarks button on the right side of the navigation toolbarOn the menu bar, click At the top of the Firefox window, click the and select menu to open the Library window.
Click the Bookmarks button and selectto open the Library window.
- From the toolbar on the Library window, click
and choose .
- In the Import Bookmarks File window that opens, navigate to the bookmarks HTML file you are importing and select the file.
- Click the button. The Import Bookmarks File window will close.
- Close the Library window.
The bookmarks in the selected HTML file will be added to your Firefox bookmarks within the Bookmarks Menu directory.
Based on information from Import bookmarks (mozillaZine KB)