Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Mozilla firefox asks for a 6 digit authenticator code to sync my data and passwords, but the microsoft authenticator generates an 8 digit code?

GBJHess

I have a new iphone 17 and the Firefox app doesn't have any of my passwords from my online account. on the iphone Mozilla firefox asks for a 6 digit authenticator code to sync my data and passwords, but the microsoft authenticator generates an 8 digit code? I've tried scanning the QR code on my desktop web mozilla firefox account but it then asks me to enter the 6 digit code from authenticator, but I'm getting an 8 digit code from microsoft autheticator. I really need to sync my passwords from Firefox web account to my iphone firefox app.

I have a new iphone 17 and the Firefox app doesn't have any of my passwords from my online account. on the iphone Mozilla firefox asks for a 6 digit authenticator code to sync my data and passwords, but the microsoft authenticator generates an 8 digit code? I've tried scanning the QR code on my desktop web mozilla firefox account but it then asks me to enter the 6 digit code from authenticator, but I'm getting an 8 digit code from microsoft autheticator. I really need to sync my passwords from Firefox web account to my iphone firefox app.

All Replies (1)

The standard used is 6–digit. If you were ever able to set up a new TOTP with your authenticator, it had to give you 6–digit code back to enroll it, otherwise the pairing wouldn't succeed.

If you have a preference in your authenticator to use standard 6–digit codes (instead of potentially private/enterprise 8–digits for some of your other use–cases?), you'd need to follow the documentation for your authenticator.

Tanya soalan

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.