Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

കൂടുതലറിയുക
Open

After finding v157.0.1 buggy, I uninstalled and installed v153.4.0 but lost my profile

Bug Magnet

After discovering a bug in v1.57.0.1 (related to failing to play videos on facebook - bug report filed) - in a senior moment compounded by exhaustion, I uninstalled v 157.0.1 without making a backup of the profile. IOW, I fucked up.

After I installed a stable version, v 153.4.0, I selected my prior username profile from the firefox startup menu. I got a popup warning that attempting to load the profile of a newer version on this older version might corrupt the profile settings. But is offers only 2 option: create a new user profile or QUIT firefox. No option to attempt to load the profile I was using on v 157.0.1 even if risky.

Besides that, with a new raw profile, I am finding v153.4.0 buggy! When I open Settings (about:preferences) the sidebar is populated with all the normal sections but none of them show the options. the main window is blank, except for a search box for "Find in Settings".

I am getting too old for this :\

I *think* I had Sync enabled and my android cell phone added. but I am concerned that I might erase whatever profile settings I might have on my phone if it syncs with this new, blank profile on my desktop.

Is there a way to possibly recover the settings profile I had on v157.0.1 before i uninstalled it? anything 'preserved' in the Trash or ?? (I see nothing in Trash related to the firefox un-install)

I see several profiles in my current user > .cache > mozilla > firefox

I have made duplicates of all of them. Am I safe in trying to create a new user based on the profile of my prior account from v 157.0.1?

After discovering a bug in v1.57.0.1 (related to failing to play videos on facebook - bug report filed) - in a senior moment compounded by exhaustion, I uninstalled v 157.0.1 without making a backup of the profile. IOW, I fucked up. After I installed a stable version, v 153.4.0, I selected my prior username profile from the firefox startup menu. I got a popup warning that attempting to load the profile of a newer version on this older version might corrupt the profile settings. But is offers only 2 option: create a new user profile or QUIT firefox. No option to attempt to load the profile I was using on v 157.0.1 even if risky. Besides that, with a new raw profile, I am finding v153.4.0 buggy! When I open Settings (about:preferences) the sidebar is populated with all the normal sections but none of them show the options. the main window is blank, except for a search box for "Find in Settings". I am getting too old for this :\ I *think* I had Sync enabled and my android cell phone added. but I am concerned that I might erase whatever profile settings I might have on my phone if it syncs with this new, blank profile on my desktop. Is there a way to possibly recover the settings profile I had on v157.0.1 before i uninstalled it? anything 'preserved' in the Trash or ?? (I see nothing in Trash related to the firefox un-install) I see several profiles in my current user > .cache > mozilla > firefox I have made duplicates of all of them. Am I safe in trying to create a new user based on the profile of my prior account from v 157.0.1?

എല്ലാ മറുപടികളും (1)

There were storage changes in 154/155 so the profiles are generally not always compatible (IOW you'd lose passwords most likely, and cause integrity issues down the road — that's why there's no "attempt to downgrade and I accept I'm voiding warranties" button, history is lined with data loss and crashes hence why the options are only these.)

My recommendation would be to switch back to the 157.x Release, and then put back the original profile data into the current profile. (In about:profiles open the local profile path, and see which profile IDs are no longer listed on that profile overview pane — that would be your original disconnected one. You can copy its contents to any other profile folder, e.g. the sacrificial current empty one, when Firefox is not running.)

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.