Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

കൂടുതലറിയുക
Solved

I get 'authentication failed' when trying to register email account

Ed Carne

I've got a new phone after the last one went missing. I tried to put my usual Virgin Media email onto Thunderbird and get 'authentication failed' I've checked the server name, port and connection security match those on my desktop. Grateful for suggestions thanks

I've got a new phone after the last one went missing. I tried to put my usual Virgin Media email onto Thunderbird and get 'authentication failed' I've checked the server name, port and connection security match those on my desktop. Grateful for suggestions thanks

Modified by Wayne Mery

എല്ലാ മറുപടികളും (2)

Authentication failed points to an incorrect password being entered.

1. Check you've not made any typing errors. 2. Virgin media requires the use of an app password, not your account password. Are you entering this?

See the section headed "How to set an app password to use an email app" at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-settings

Chosen Solution

Thanks very much, that worked!

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.