Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

Why does the download icon flash when I start Firefox?

jafcake

When I start Firefox, as the start page is loading, the little animation that signifies that I am downloading something appears, with the arrow appearing and moving to the downloads icon and the icon flashing. Looking at the downloads there is no evidence of something actually downloading, and it happens before I even click on anything so I don't think I'm downloading a virus by accident. I don't really have aproblem with this, I'm just curious why it happens.

When I start Firefox, as the start page is loading, the little animation that signifies that I am downloading something appears, with the arrow appearing and moving to the downloads icon and the icon flashing. Looking at the downloads there is no evidence of something actually downloading, and it happens before I even click on anything so I don't think I'm downloading a virus by accident. I don't really have aproblem with this, I'm just curious why it happens.

All Replies (1)

Hi jafcake, It may be a homepage that was saved or a session restoring a downloaded url.

Please reset the homepage:

Clear the cache of the download url website if the tab is open as well.