Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Ezilondoloziweyo

Thunderbird crashes on startup @ arena_dalloc | je_free | js::ctypes::CData::Finalize

Maniac1972

I am migrating from Windows 7 pro to a new computer with Windows 10 pro. I had problems initially with thunderbird not communicating with Time Warner Road Runner. (Verified, it was a problem with Thunderbird.) Got that fixed and was able to access my mail. Now I tried to migrate my profile with my old folders, subfolders and saved emails. I followed the directions to the letter, copying the contents of my old profile into the new profile. Now, Thunderbird crashes before I can even open it. I uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled a new copy from the Mozilla site and it still crashes. I need to get my address books and some critical emails. Help!

I am migrating from Windows 7 pro to a new computer with Windows 10 pro. I had problems initially with thunderbird not communicating with Time Warner Road Runner. (Verified, it was a problem with Thunderbird.) Got that fixed and was able to access my mail. Now I tried to migrate my profile with my old folders, subfolders and saved emails. I followed the directions to the letter, copying the contents of my old profile into the new profile. Now, Thunderbird crashes before I can even open it. I uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled a new copy from the Mozilla site and it still crashes. I need to get my address books and some critical emails. Help!

Ilungisiwe ngu Wayne Mery

Funda le mpendulo kwimeko leyo

Isisombululo esiKhethiweyo

The crash signature indicates McAfee may be involved

All Replies (11)

Do you mean "crash" as described in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mozilla-crash-reporter#w_viewing-crash-reports ??

If yes, please post your crash IDs.

Crash ID: bp-1f69e7ad-9718-4c02-9d20-592790170608 Crash ID: bp-1f69e7ad-9718-4c02-9d20-592790170608 Crash ID: bp-1f69e7ad-9718-4c02-9d20-592790170608 Crash ID: bp-73f893c4-6d01-47c4-b517-d06010170608 Crash ID: bp-60989ee4-95db-47e0-83f8-eb8350170608 Crash ID: bp-b4fdfaea-6fbe-4b2e-b808-31b800170608 Crash ID: bp-da5d2a12-f250-4570-a687-4cb120170608 Crash ID: bp-dc5d8945-d8a6-4b56-81fa-72ba30170608 Crash ID: bp-f9b1ebe5-e2ff-45b1-a6de-7ddfc0170608 As you can see I tried a number of things without resolution. Marian

I uninstalled and reinstalled at least twice.

Please start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled - win10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode Still In Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode - https://support.mozilla.org/kb/safe-mode-thunderbird

Does problem go away? Please reply to let us know results.

Wayne Mery said

Please start *Windows'* safe mode with networking enabled - win10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode Still In Windows safe mode, start thunderbird in safe mode - https://support.mozilla.org/kb/safe-mode-thunderbird Does problem go away? Please reply to let us know results.

I was unable to fix this on my own, due to my unfamiliarity with Windows 10 (the system is only a week old). In particular, I wasn't able to log into safe mode. I have a support contract and spent a couple of hours on the phone. The result is that I can access Thunderbird, but I still don't have my address book transferred.

Ilungisiwe ngu Maniac1972

See my remarks above.

Isisombululo esiKhethiweyo

The crash signature indicates McAfee may be involved

Update, I can receive email from the server, but I cannot send mail to the server nor will it save to drafts. Roadrunner (Time Warner) says that if McAfee were interfering then I wouldn't be able to receive mail, which I am doing. I checked the IMAP server port and the STMP server port settings. The outgoing was correct, but the incoming port was set to 993 but should have been 143. If thunderbird doesn't crash, but just generates a error message, is there a place on the server that retains those error codes?

The crashes then are definitely caused by McAFee, whether you are sending or receiving.

And if you following the easy instructions at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1163449#answer-976463 and you don't have a problem, then the issue isn't Thunderbird

At this point, the problem appears to be an inability to transfer my old profile information (on a POP server) to my new system which is set up with an IMAP setting. Unless you have anything helpful to add to this, I will consider the problem resolved. Thank you for your help.