Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

How to update browser.bookmarks.defaultLocation with JavaScript

Jason

The default location of the new bookmark is set in about:config,that is browser.bookmarks.defaultLocation. How can i change it with JavaScript in third-party extensions?

The default location of the new bookmark is set in about:config,that is browser.bookmarks.defaultLocation. How can i change it with JavaScript in third-party extensions?

All Replies (8)

Hi Jason

It is not possible to alter about:config preferences using an add-on.

Paul said

Hi Jason It is not possible to alter about:config preferences using an add-on.

Well. Is there an API to update the default bookmark location?As is usually done by clicking on the collection star.

Modified by Jason

I am sorry, but I do not believe that there is.

Perhaps a policy would do what you want. There is a list of policies on github and searchfox.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-firefox-using-group-policy-windows

Modified by Terry

I researched policy, maybe my knowledge is shallow and I didn't find a solution.

There is also autoconfig.js which enables you to preset preferences. (Remove the blank space in the second link.)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customizing-firefox-using-autoconfig https://www.userchrome. org/what-is-userchrome-js.html

What is your use case for modifying the browser.bookmarks.defaultLocation pref ?

cor-el said

What is your use case for modifying the browser.bookmarks.defaultLocation pref ?

I'm using a third-party bookmark add-on “Bookmark Tab Here”, but Firefox's bookmark button doesn't remember the add-on's most recent bookmark location.