Showing questions for topic:

Ram usage

My browser is using 2,3 Gb of extra ram it goes away by restarting but comes back in 5-10 min. It occurs wathing twich, i have tried disabling extentsions but it doesn't … (read more)

My browser is using 2,3 Gb of extra ram it goes away by restarting but comes back in 5-10 min. It occurs wathing twich, i have tried disabling extentsions but it doesn't work. in about:memory the readout is as thoug it is keaping an extra copy of open browser files in ram.

2,511.83 MB (100.0%) -- heap ├──2,301.00 MB (91.61%) -- committed │ ├──2,016.65 MB (80.29%) ── unused-pages/dirty │ ├────230.75 MB (09.19%) ── allocated │ ├─────32.96 MB (01.31%) ++ bin-unused │ └─────20.65 MB (00.82%) ++ (2 tiny) └────210.82 MB (08.39%) -- decommitted

    ├──210.21 MB (08.37%) ── unmapped
    └────0.61 MB (00.02%) ++ unused-pages
Open 3

Firefox in V. 157.0 still stalls, predictably on opening a new browser tab

Well I am continuing and repeating my question placed in August 2026, where I found that Firefox V154.x stalled in an erratic way that made it completely impossible to us… (read more)

Well I am continuing and repeating my question placed in August 2026, where I found that Firefox V154.x stalled in an erratic way that made it completely impossible to use it or to send a crash report. So your suggestion to send a crash report was not very bright or helpful. I deliberately omitted the subsequent updates, to try again after a main version update. Alas, we have the same situation again in V157.0, this time more predictible. The program stalls immediately after trying to open another tab. And again, you can kill the program only by task manager.

The additional question I have, is how to switch off the annoying update message, as long as Firefox is dysfunctional after an update, I'd like to avoid any update under all circumstances. I have to work with Firefox, so it is more than an leisure thing for me, I cannot afford to cripple Firefox by an unintended update.

I had to reinstall the last known working version (153.03) to send this message.

Open

Firefox freezes when playing YouTube videos

When I watch YouTube videos, Firefox behaves strangely. After a few minutes of watching, I try to scroll to the comments, and then Firefox starts to lag. Scrolling become… (read more)

When I watch YouTube videos, Firefox behaves strangely. After a few minutes of watching, I try to scroll to the comments, and then Firefox starts to lag. Scrolling becomes very sluggish, and the entire image freezes while scrolling. The website stops responding, but the sound continues. The only way to fix this is to minimize and then maximize Firefox. Then I can scroll again and the problem starts again. This problem occurs regardless of whether I clear the cache, use an ad blocker, or which screen I'm using Firefox on. Sometimes, one of my screens even freezes and displays stripes. However, this only happens when I'm using Firefox and YouTube. I have no problems with any other applications for exampmple playing games on one screen and let music streaming app playing on the other screen. Even my Cubase 15 work like sweet on booth screens without errors. Why is firefox acting so strange? Firefox never completly stops or closed itself.

Firefox Version 157.0 (64-bit). AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 26.8.1. Windows 11, version 26H2 installed October 1, 2026 (previous updates also had the same issue with firefox).

I also got some Firefox Updates when i opened it. I was hoping they catched the issue but it seems like the same.

Have a great day :)

Open

Firefox freezes too often, Chrome does not - I use MS 10 extended support - should I change to Chrome permanently

Preferred Firefox for most of my online use in my 82-year career in the ICT space - why has it deteriorated so badly? Am using Chrome for now, works perfectly, doses not … (read more)

Preferred Firefox for most of my online use in my 82-year career in the ICT space - why has it deteriorated so badly? Am using Chrome for now, works perfectly, doses not freeze up my browsing or simultaneous use like Word or outlook. Should I abandon Firefox and switch to Chrome permanently?

Open 1

YouTube constantly freezes in Firefox, not in other browsers. What can I do?

As soon as I start browsing short videos in YouTube Firefox freezes and I have to restart it to continue doing anything. It is very annoying. I have Windows 11 (updated) … (read more)

As soon as I start browsing short videos in YouTube Firefox freezes and I have to restart it to continue doing anything. It is very annoying. I have Windows 11 (updated) and Firefox is up to date. I don't use a VPN. I have some extensions installed but it happens with or without them enabled. I use Panda Dome as antivirus (It did not happen when I had Windows 10 and Panda) It does not happen with any other video site

Open

Why does Firefox open multiple Microsoft Edge Webview2 processes?

I browse exclusively with Firefox on a Windows desktop. Edge is installed but unused. Even so, Firefox unpredictably starts as many as seven Edge Webview2 processes, whic… (read more)

I browse exclusively with Firefox on a Windows desktop. Edge is installed but unused. Even so, Firefox unpredictably starts as many as seven Edge Webview2 processes, which invariably bog the computer down. (Webview2 pops up only when I use Firefox and usually when nothing else of consequence is running; so Firefox seems the likeliest culprit.) Microsoft says that trying to uproot Webview2 will disable many apps and may end civilization. How can I prevent Firefox from invoking Webview2?

Open 1

Cannot download files or change settings

This morning, I can no longer download (Save) files to my computer, nor check/change settings in Firefox. Tried all troubleshooting steps to no avail. If I delete and re… (read more)

This morning, I can no longer download (Save) files to my computer, nor check/change settings in Firefox. Tried all troubleshooting steps to no avail.

If I delete and reinstall Firefox, will I lose all my Bookmarks, etc.? Running version 157.0 (aarch64).

Appreciate any help!

Open 4

Firefox locks up when starting first time after restart in Windows 10

When starting Firefox after a PC startup or restart in Windows 10, Firefox will lockup and exhibit a "Not Responding" message. Windows will then show a "Close Program" or… (read more)

When starting Firefox after a PC startup or restart in Windows 10, Firefox will lockup and exhibit a "Not Responding" message. Windows will then show a "Close Program" or "Wait for the program to respond" choice. This happens on any of my machines, Windows 10 and 11. It's to the point of wanting to uninstall it. After it finally loads the first time it loads fine on subsequent loads.

Open 1 20

The 157 update is causing a significant lag to my laptop.

Ever since the update to 157 I have been having issues when running firefox. Youtube is non functional on the browser. It is using a large amount of memory (consistently … (read more)

Ever since the update to 157 I have been having issues when running firefox. Youtube is non functional on the browser. It is using a large amount of memory (consistently at 41-45% according to the task manager). Gmail takes a long time to load, in fact every page takes a long time to load if at all.

I run it in troubleshooting mode and functionality returns... I don't want to run firefox with all my extensions disabled they are there for a reason.

This update seems to be inherently unstable and is causing issues for lot's of folks.

So just to summarize, the update to 157 has not worked. It is using a disproportional amount of memory, that the previous version did not. It is causing my entire system to downgrade and run significantly slower. Pages will not load properly and I am now using a different browser as a work around.

Essentially it is a huge failure and I wish you would have tested more thoroughly. My experiences are not uncommon... You guys released a garbage upgrade to the browser that has catastrophically under performed.

I do not recollect any update in the past that functioned as poorly as this. Congratulations for completely screwing this up.

When will you guys get this working properly?

Open 2 1

firefox playing video at low framerate after update

Firefox just automatically updated and now when playing video while not being the selected window (eg watching a video in the background while doing something else) it pl… (read more)

Firefox just automatically updated and now when playing video while not being the selected window (eg watching a video in the background while doing something else) it plays at a noticeably lower frame rate.

I was using my computer today and everything was working fine, when I closed and reopened Firefox it automatically updated, I have changed no settings anywhere on my computer or in Firefox but when i alt-tabbed to a different window while watching a movie after the update Firefox started playing at a low frame rate.

Any idea what could be happening? it seems to be caused by this latest update.

(I have seen posts from some time ago that seemed to be having a similar problem but the solutions from them do not seem to work).

Open

FIREFOX! Please Fix The Streaming Video Issue With Version 157!!!

First the laggy, extremely slow issue was just noticed on YouTube. Now I notice it on Rumble and other sites. For now, I have to abandon Firefox and use an alternative … (read more)

First the laggy, extremely slow issue was just noticed on YouTube. Now I notice it on Rumble and other sites. For now, I have to abandon Firefox and use an alternative browser. I've stayed with you for years. Maybe it's time to part ways. I really like your browser. But, it has become nearly non-functional for me.

Open 8 1

Firefox 157 breaks video streaming.

The new Firefox 157.0 update has broken pretty much every video streaming website. I've tried YouTube, Twitch, and Amazon Prime Video. In all cases, the same thing genera… (read more)

The new Firefox 157.0 update has broken pretty much every video streaming website. I've tried YouTube, Twitch, and Amazon Prime Video. In all cases, the same thing generally happens.

Take YouTube for example. The main page itself is slow to load. And when I click on a video to play, it either fails to load or loads but has horrible stutter. When I open up the Firefox Task Manager, every YouTube page shows it's using 100% CPU.

I've enjoyed using Firefox for years, but I'll be moving on to different browser now.

Open 1 1

Excessive use of memory by Firefox.

Hi guys - I am running Firefox 157.0 (aarch64) on a Macmini M2 pro with 32GB RAM . I am regularly receiving messages that my default browser, Firefox, is the largest cons… (read more)

Hi guys - I am running Firefox 157.0 (aarch64) on a Macmini M2 pro with 32GB RAM .

I am regularly receiving messages that my default browser, Firefox, is the largest consumer of that RAM. This is what I received this morning shortly before my system shut itself down. I did have many files open but noticed that Firefox is consuming 33GB of my RAM. Is this normal?

Open 4 51

Firefox constantly not responding

I started noticing that Firefox was giving me a lot of "not responding" freezes the past couple of weeks. The past couple of days I basically cannot access Firefox at al… (read more)

I started noticing that Firefox was giving me a lot of "not responding" freezes the past couple of weeks. The past couple of days I basically cannot access Firefox at all - constant, immediate freezing. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling (multiple times), disabling hardware acceleration, running troubleshooter mode (still freezes! if it opens at all!), deleting profiles, restarting my computer, etc. I've done just about everything I can find online about this issue. Nothing has worked. I have no issues with Chrome or Edge.

Any suggestions??

Open 19 450

Sudden cpu activity when browsing websites

Original FF user here so not a newbie. Run all FF updates on a regular basis. Currently on a MacBk Air circa 2020 running Sonoma 14.7.7 I browse twitter on a regular basi… (read more)

Original FF user here so not a newbie. Run all FF updates on a regular basis. Currently on a MacBk Air circa 2020 running Sonoma 14.7.7 I browse twitter on a regular basis. I run various ad blockers: ABP, Adblocker Ultimate & Privacy Badger. Last month or so I've needed to make some adjustments as maybe the X platform has instituted workarounds or something but suddenly I was seeing ads that looked like someone's post, very deceptive. At one point it was necessary to disable Privacy Badger on twitter/X as there was an interference w what I was seeing. That wasn't that long ago, maybe 2-3 wks? Consequently if I saw an ad I needed to do a "block element" thru Adblocker Ultimate & while it was a bit of a bother that was all fine and good no problem. Again, this was all recent. Tonite was different. An ad appeared and somewhere something got entangled and I had to disable the Adblocker Ultimate. I sent them an email to see what's up. Then I had to disable that on twitter so ads appeared. Next I tried to enable ABP again on twitter to see if maybe since I'd disabled it a couple of wks prior maybe it had been updated and would work ok. This is when things really started to go downhill. It worked but too well - was disabling images from news reports and/or someone's posted video. THEN I noticed my cpu was running a bit loud. I tried to disable/test the ad blockers but my cpu was getting louder so I shut down the twitter website altogether.

That didn't help. I checked the Utility monitor and saw my activity monitor climbing as I heard the fan running louder. SO bizarre! I shut down FF altogether and this calmed down the CPU. Next I opened just a general news site - Al Jazeera - to see what would happen. Within about 2-3 mins the CPU started speeding up again. I closed AlJazeera, and just sat there for a few moments and my cpu calmed down. Opened it again same thing. Began speeding up. That's when I came here to file a report//ask qs because this just doesn't ever happen - literally ever. It is not unusual for me to have both a browser page open w 2-3 windows along w a private window open - maybe mltiple windows there - and NO cpu noise going on. Once more I shut down FF completely before reopening a new window. IF I start browsing a news site - like Al Jazeera, it begins running hot again. Twitter, same thing and now my ad blockers seem to be messed up//not working as well. Right now as I type this I have ABP & AdBlocker Ultimate both highlighted as active; Privacy Badger is showing enabled but no activity, Twitter Video Downloader is just sitting there as is typical unless I need it (it's to download videos off of Twitter, works very well too.) That's all I have for add-ons. Right now in just this window everything is calm and quiet. IF I open a news site tho, or social media, anything w a bit of activity on it everything starts humming louder and louder. I just opened FB for a few moments to see if that creates issues and yes it does w/i maybe 2-3 mins of activity. Also: FF Privacy & Security Settings are on Standard. Not sure what else I can provide but please feel free to ask. I may have left something out. I'm hearing the cpu heat up again so getting ready to just shut things down for the night. Thanks to all who helped build FF - really - and thanks to whoever can help resolve whatever's going on now.

Open 7